Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty for Windows?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Installation and Setup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
askhelp
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Smarty for Windows? Reply with quote

I was guided by a book to download smarty from the url: http://smarty.php.net/download.php for windows
operation system. But on the download page all download packages are for
Unix. Can you please tell me where, how to get the version for windows?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all PHP code, Smarty can be run on multiple platforms (including Windows) without requiring separate "versions" for each platform. If you are referring to the .tar.gz extension, don't let it worry you. All the major zip programs on Windows (including WinZip and 7-Zip) can handle .tar.gz archives.
jaishal
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Smarty installtion in windows Reply with quote

Hey all
I had downloaded the latest version(stable version) of the smarty 2.6.9 from the www.smarty.php.net. now
i want to install and configure this for windows (i m using localy windows XP)

can anyone guide me how to install the smarty in the windowsXP and if after this i want to upload the files on the linux server wat i have to do??? is there any extra effort i have to do so that i can run the script with smarty.
I know PHP well but
please guide me from where i can learn the SMARTY.. this will be very help ful ...

waiting for someones positive reply

Rolling Eyes
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://smarty.incutio.com/

See the link, [SmartyInstallationWindows]
GSX1400
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played around with the Smarty install on Windows 2000 for a while and also read some security articles in PHP and Apache.
It seems to me that the best thing to do is to keep smarty OFF the document root (the directories served by your webserver) to protect it from any potential hostile act.

I have done the following and it seems to work well

Extract Smarty into c:\smarty

Edit the include_path in your php.ini file to be something like

include_path = ".;c:\PHP\includes;c:\smarty\libs"

the important bit being c:\smarty\libs

When you create a new website add the directories to your document root i.e.

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\my_new_smarty_app if your daft enough to use IIS
OR
<wherever apache htdocs are>\my_new_smarty_app
Under that directory add the \configs, \cache , \templates and templates_c directories
(i.e. \my_new_smarty_app\configs etc.)

get the demo app that comes with the install and put the right files in the right directories. Restart your server and away you go.

this way, if and when smarty gets update you only have the one directory to consider which is off the server's document tree and therefore more secure and you are not adding things under the smarty directory in your document root which can get confusing.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, it is not necessary to put these directories under the doc root:

configs
cache
templates
templates_c

A browser should never browse directly into these directories. Typically there isn't a problem with putting them there, but if you have sensitive data in your config files or don't want the possiblity of loading the template sources into a browser, move them to another directory. Or at least protect them with something like Apache .htaccess files.
leiandra
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having kinda the same problem, i edited the php.ini file to C:\smarty\libs and it isn't working i am still getting this error

Warning: main(Smarty.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\Server\Apache2\htdocs\index.php on line 4

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'Smarty.class.php' (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in C:\Server\Apache2\htdocs\index.php on line 4

its driving me crazy..lol...any help would be appreciated
Nathan
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm having exactly the same problem. If you look at phpinfo() the include_path is set to .;C:\php5\pear (or php4\pear in your case), and it editing php.ini doesn't affect that. In fact, I searched php.ini for "pear", and the only occurence I found was in the word "appear" in one of the comments. So the include directory is set to one that doesn't exist, and I have no clue how to change it. Ideas anyone?
Nathan
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, forgot to mention.

A workaround in relation to Smarty is to put the full path in the require(), so for me, that's

require('C:/web/smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php');

or, you can use

set_include_path('C:/web/smarty/libs');

which changes the path for the duration of the script. It means Smarty works fine, but the mysterious location of the include path configuration is getting to me.
Duncan
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan wrote:
A workaround in relation to Smarty is to put the full path

I wouldn't consider this a workaround if you make it a config setting for the script path + smarty libs dir.
That way you won't have to worry about finding that line again and edit it when you move the script to another location, but only need to edit the config file/setting.

Especially comes in handy when you make it available for 3rd parties, since they won't have to mess around with your code but only need to edit the config settings.
phantom90ro
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG im so noob Sad( it's because im tired please forgive me i posted something stupid and i realized what i've done after i posted it Sad((( sryyy
wantho
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: pre and post version 3 Reply with quote

I am learning and copying from a book. I have Smarty 3.1.0 installed while the book example uses a version from 2007. From the book version the example libs folder contains:
directories/folders: internals and plugins
and files: debug.tpl
Config_File.class.php
Smarty.class.php
Smarty_compiler.class.php

How can I relate these described folders and files in the newer Smarty 3.1.0 'libs' folder.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: pre and post version 3 Reply with quote

wantho wrote:
I am learning and copying from a book. I have Smarty 3.1.0 installed while the book example uses a version from 2007. From the book version the example libs folder contains:
directories/folders: internals and plugins
and files: debug.tpl
Config_File.class.php
Smarty.class.php
Smarty_compiler.class.php

How can I relate these described folders and files in the newer Smarty 3.1.0 'libs' folder.

It should work very similar, you only need to worry about installing the "libs" folder and using the Smarty.class.php file, same as before. Don't worry about what other files are in there, just leave them as-is.
TedEBare1970
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Installing on Windows 8 Reply with quote

I'm running xampp on Windows 8.1
I've done as all the instructions state.
I've located my php.ini file in xampp/php and edited the include_path to reflect "include_path=".;c:\xampp\php\PEAR;c:\smarty\libs""
Unzipped everything into c:\smarty
Made my smarty folder in my webroot "htdocs" with the configs and templates folders inside
I made my cache and templates_c folders inside the c:\smarty directory
I made the index.tpl in the templates folder and the index.php in the htdocs folder
I run the script, and I get this:

Fatal error: Uncaught --> Smarty: Unable to load template file 'index.tpl' <-- thrown in C:\smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_templatebase.php on line 127
any ideas?
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run $smarty->testInstall() after you have configured the template folders in your script.

See http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/api.test.install.tpl
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Installation and Setup All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: