Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

html_checkboxes: label before input

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybot
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: html_checkboxes: label before input Reply with quote

an option to place the label-text before the input-tag would be nice

(right aligned elements)
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does put label tags around the checkboxes (?)

<label><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox[]" value="1000" />Joe Schmoe</label>
saerdna
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
It does put label tags around the checkboxes (?)

<label><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox[]" value="1000" />Joe Schmoe</label>

WROOOOONG

does labels on food in store contain anything but text? NO.

<label for="foo">text</label><input type="checkbox[]" value="1000" id="foo"> is a more proper way to do it..
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a related thread to saerdna's "suggestion": here. I think it was just never followed through perhaps because no one wanted to decide on the ID issue.

I don't really see the problem with putting in a left/right (or similar) boolean property for html_checkboxes so that it would emit the label text either prior or after the input tag and doing so would side-step the ID issue, at least for this purpose.

For the record, the "correct" way of using labels is according to the standard, not based on some arbitrary and (if I may say so) ridiculous comparison to food labels. AFAIK, both HTML4 and XHTML (at least up to 1.1) allow for <input /> tags to be contained within <label> tags and the for and id attributes are optional. Besides, the example given is hardly proper -- there is no type="checkbox[]" attribute value according to any standard and for the sake of XHTML compliance, Smarty seems to have adopted the practice of closing empty content tags with />. So saerdna, don't make me get all uppercase on you Razz

I actually don't have any stake in this as I don't even use the plugin but when it comes right down to it, I would suggest that whatever style is compliant with the majority of browsers and is also standards compliant should be used, whatever that happens to be.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: