Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

żIs smarty slow? Not at all!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Testimonials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwerner
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: żIs smarty slow? Not at all!! Reply with quote

My current proyect is a new version of my company computer platform, the previous one was made using a template engine of their own that basically as a variable replacer, no hierarchical rendering, no conditional fetching, none of the features that make smarty great. The newer one uses smarty at it's fulles -except for caching, that is not yet used-, and certain parts even build smarty templates on the fly. Currently it has all the same features of the previous one and many aditions so I decided to make a speed benchmark.

Rendering 1000 pages

Old version average time 3.4 secs
Old version maximun time 8 secs
Old version minimun time 1.2 secs

New version Average time 0.36 secs
New version maximun time 0.69 secs
New version minimun time 0.17 secs

Some other differences: Old version templates were stored on disk & database, new one version just uses a database, old version access was native mysql functions, new one uses adodb without any cache or speed up.

No source code from the previous version was incorporated into the new one, it is a full rewrite without any look at previous code.
iriePub
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the benchmark! did you activate cache for the new version, or not?
vwerner
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I should have posted it: no, the results are with NO cache active at all.
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: I am not exactly sure. But, still, I prefer Smarty Reply with quote

I have used Smarty in a lot of large scale projects, I am not feeling it to become slower.

But it has sometimes, issues with proper management:
* While overwriting template files, some FTP clients do to update the template timestamp of the existing template files. This makes a problem with deleting the complied files. The compiled files can not be properly recreated when you run the application.
*Since the compiled files may be owned by a different user/group, normall the apache or www, deletion is not possible. Hence, either I have to use an online file manager in the available control panel, or use root-account ssh connection for the fix if available.
* Since there are very few resources working with Smarty, it is harder for finding a proper guy to handover the complete source files who can take care of all the aspects of Smarty and relaled project files.

Seriously, since you are running your website on a linux machine, you should not worry about performance issues blaming Smarty. Revise your own application codes, database queries and other things too, if possible.
Paris
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new browsers are becoming allso much faster so there you are..live is good for servers today Very Happy
danielth
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Great Bechmark! Reply with quote

Great work! More Pro's to use smarty.
stot
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: żIs smarty slow? Not at all!! Reply with quote

vwerner wrote:

Rendering 1000 pages

Old version average time 3.4 secs

New version Average time 0.36 secs

According to my experience you can easily decrease your new average time by a factor of 5 with using cache Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Testimonials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: