Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

How often should i use clear_compiled_tpl

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsmith
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: How often should i use clear_compiled_tpl Reply with quote

Anyone have a suggestion as to how often to call clear_compiled_tpl? Not sure of the performance impact to the user that hits a page with this call.

Should I create some automated too that call it using wget or something.

I would like to know how others are doing this.

Thanks,
Brian
idxman01
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have $compile_check on, then it'll recompile it automatically. Otherwise, only call it if you changed a template.

-r
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?? only as often as required, preferably never on a production site.

It is NOT a tuning feature. It is a maintenance feature which works as idxman01 indicates.
bsmith
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Not sure I understand then Reply with quote

What I would like to do is manage the growing list of sub-directoreis under templates_c directory, do I need to "clean these out" by hand, or will the list keep growing indefinitely?

Maybe I'm not using compile_check correctly. Even in a production application, templates will eventually get changed when new features are added or design changes are desired. When this happens, do I turn on compile_check for a while, then turn it back off once the changes are re-compiled?

Please help if you can.
Brian
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why? Those are Smarty working files. They aren't meant to be managed other than for the needs of your application.

As for your question regarding turning on/off the compile check, I'd say yes: if you know before hand when it is appropriate to turn off/on, then do so. Typically, I keep different setting for my different environments:

1) production -- speed! no compile check, caching where possible.
2) testing -- same as production
3) development -- compile check, no caching, debug console

because of the design of my site, I typically just wipe out my temporary directories when I am doing a site update to ensure that everything is recompiled and cached properly.

HTH
bsmith
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: can you share with me how you do your setup? Reply with quote

How do you wipe out your temporary files? Here is how I have my setup

root (public html)
-member (private app area)
--classes
--templates
--templates_c

That's about it, all my templates are in the templates directory, and I keep out browsers using my apache config. Smarty creates all compiled subs under templates_c by default I guess.

What do you do when you post new code/templates to your production site?
(all this is helping a lot, I appreciate it).

TIA,
Brian
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see
http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/api.clear.compiled.tpl.php
on how to clear them smarty-wise.

in a perfect world you don't have to worry about them, they get recompiled (and rewritten) when a template changes. this "changes" should imply an upload of any template to your production site.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As messju kindly points out, there are programmatic controls available.

What I do is slightly different. My compile and cache directories are stored as sub-directories of a single directory (let's say, tmp) and I physically destroy tmp when I do a site refresh. That is not always desirable or necessary, though. Like anything worth considering, it depends on your context and what you are trying to achieve. Never-the-less, unless you have specific application logic that is dependant on the existance of your compile/cache files (which is extrememly unlikely), there is no harm in my approach what-so-ever. At WORST, your site will temporarily slow down as Smarty re-compiles templates and re-caches content.

I consider these things a maintenance issue and so I don't have code in my application to deal with them--instead I have maintenance scripts that handle those chores for me outside the confines of the application. I'm a little too old to be doing everything by the seat of my pants, I'm afraid Smile

The key: most of the settings that were discussed earlier are set-and-forget. You typically only need to (temporarily) change them when a physical change actually occurs to your templates and or application. In other words, this is a fairly mundane topic Rolling Eyes If you still have questions, please consider posting a more specific example.

Take care and have fun!
xo boots
bsmith
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Thanks, I think I have it Reply with quote

I think I understand, and i, like you, have created tools that clean up directories/tables/files running as cron jobs.

Don't compile check (for speed)
Get rid of compile and cache to cause an application to re-compile and re-cache

That's basically it, and what I'm going to do.
Thanks so much for the help.

Brian
idxman01
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks, I think I have it Reply with quote

bsmith wrote:
Don't compile check (for speed)
Get rid of compile and cache to cause an application to re-compile and re-cache

More or less.. but as always it depends on the app. You may not necessarily need to get rid of _all_ the compiled tpl/cache. eg: one template changes, but its not recompiled (nor cached) until you either delete the tpl/cache or turn compile_check on for the time being..

One thing I've done that helps is to [as mentioned] use the API, so I can setup some admin `clear cache` and `clear tpl` links for myself. (non-CLI situations) The other handy thing is to add app logic to clear the cache when necessary. eg: When you know a specific action will change the data, clear it (certain cache groups in my case), so the next page view will auto-regenerate it for you.

-r
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: