Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Opposite of Truncate

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machnhed1
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Opposite of Truncate Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a variable modifier (or a way to combine variable modifiers) in smarty so that a returned variable was allotted a certain number of spaces. For example...

$variable="This is a test."
$variable1="This is a much longer test with too many letters."

$variable has a character length of only 15 (including spaces), but I would like to lengthen it to a 30 spaces by adding blanks at the end of the displayed variable. On the other hand $variable1 has a character length greater than 30 (including spaces), but I would like to truncate it to a 30 spaces.

Truncate works very well for $variable1 but $variable has no modifier that works (I can't find it). Also, I am almost positive there is not modifier that will test a variable for both criteria and apply the appropriate modification.

Has anyone made a function that does this? Or is there is a variable that I am missing? Perhaps this should go on the wish list as this would make formatting tables (without html) very handy when using a font such as courier.

Thanks in advance to all that read this Exclamation

- Microsoft Senior Vice President Brian Valentine
Enquest
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add 15 spaces in your PHP code and send it then to smarty. I don't think this is something that Smarty should do. But hé I'm also a novice.

You could do this by counting the lengt of your variables.
Make the difrence between them and add & times the difrence.
Then your strings would be equel off lengt.

However the whole opperation sounds a bit over kill if you use tables. Just tell your table the whidt.

Hope I understood your question

Thanxs
machnhed1
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about your second option, and it is probably the only good solution for me. I could also create my own function and simply call that, but I was hoping someone had better (read more simple) solution.

I would like to use html, however the informaiton I am formatting is going into a non-html email, so I can't.

Thanks.

mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could modify the truncate modifier, add a new parameter and make truncate append this string of characters (repeatedly) in the event that the var is shorter than the truncation length.

Monte
machnhed1
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a tutorial (or example) on modifying variables? If so, please post the link. I didn't see anything on the site.

Thanks Exclamation

sweatje
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a template
Code:
{$var|str_pad:30}

should work, but unless you are in <pre> or <code> HTML will just eat the spaces anyway... Rolling Eyes
machnhed1
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

The code is a complete success now. Thank you very much for the help.

Cheers!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: