Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty Perl?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camowel
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Smarty Perl? Reply with quote

I love smarty, it really helped out with my PHP projects, but I have recently started using Perl to write CGI scripts, and it would be great if there was a template system as amazing as smarty written for perl, every system I've seen so far either needs complicated code, or complicated template files, or both... So what are the chances of a Perl version of smarty?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hee hee. Do people still use Perl? *ducks*
camowel
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, I like it, easier to learn (in my opinion) than php, but when you get into making large sites or using some of the advanced features it gets annoying.

The most annoying part is finding a good module that does what you want (thats why I started this thread..). Smarty is a PHP web developer's dream come true... I was hoping for something like that for perl
Milkman
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be of quite some use to me. For my degree coursework I have to do some work in perl for one deliverable and then php in another, and being able to use the same template files for both would be great! Any news toward this?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone interested is willing in doing a port, don't count on it. I don't know of anyone whho is thinking of undertaking this. Now doesn't a certain popular blogging system written in perl already integrate Smarty by calling php scripts?
Milkman
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boots wrote:
Unless someone interested is willing in doing a port, don't count on it. I don't know of anyone whho is thinking of undertaking this.

I would undertake this but I don't think I have enough knowledge of perl (I have next to none) or whether I have the time.

boots wrote:
Now doesn't a certain popular blogging system written in perl already integrate Smarty by calling php scripts?

Interesting idea, I don't think this will go down too well with my coursework but could be worth looking at none the less, which blog is it?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless my memory fails me, I believe Moveable Type. Try a google search, it should prove fruitful.
hforbess
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: perl and smarty Reply with quote

at work, we have perl cgi pages call nusoap server which passses perl variables to a smarty page which generates output and then returns the output to the the perl page as a string.
We are currently migrating from perl to php but most of our system is still in perl.
Milkman
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather do it natively than through a third party application. A friend and I are going to look at it in the new year to see how feasible it is with our current knowledge.
buermann
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: smarty-like perl Reply with quote

being as this is the second result on google for "perl smarty'...

HTML::Mason, Template::Toolkit, and Embperl all do what smarty does. Template::Toolkit is probably the most smarty-like of the three. I'd suggest using one of those in combination with Catalyst.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: