Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Invisible web site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Installation and Setup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reformed
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Invisible web site Reply with quote

I have spent the last 3 hours reading over the forum to make sure that I don't ask a question that has been answered and I'm sure this one has not been dealt with. I moved my site to a Windblows box and at first I had all sorts of index errors which I fixed in no time (thanks to this forum). Now my pages don't display at all. I have nothing. PHP works (phpmyadmin runs just fine), my smarty paths are all correct, permissions are correct, server is working properly. Nothing is displayed but a generic DTD when I call one of my scripts. Anyone have any idea what this may be ? I'm running php 4.3.2 on IIS 5.1. This entire site worked on a nix box with out a hitch.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reformed.

Did you remember to delete the contents of the cache and template_c dirs ?

Also, are you logging PHP errors to file and if so, is that also coming up blank? Could be a 'hidden' syntax error...
reformed1
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing: as I was driving home from work, erked by this mysterious problem, it dawned on me that I didn't delete the contents of the old templates_c directory. I'ts either that or the smarty assign method causing the problem. But it's the weekend and now I'm going to try to forget a about it unitl monday. Thanks for pointing that out, it's probably the source of my problem. Rolling Eyes
roguetech
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem. When I tried to load a plugin, it all disappeared. No errors or anything. I gave up trying to figure out where, how, and/or why; came here and searched. Went to copy/paste my plugin command, and figured I'd try putting in "$smarty->plugins_dir = 'path';", and it works. Tried a number of different things in "var $plugins_dir" with no avail. So make sure you define your paths with "$smarty->___dir". Maybe a bug...?
gurubob
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a very similar problem but explicitly setting the $smarty->plugins_dir has no effect. I am developing a site on my laptop running WinXP and Apache and everything works fine. When I upload to my host running Win2000 Server and IIS, $smarty->display('template.tpl') returns nothing! Confused

The script doesn't die at that point - I can put trigger_error()'s around the $smarty->display() and they both come up. Even Smarty's debug window fails to appear. I'm still trying to work out what's going on here but I can't see it. Shocked

I have tried removing and recreating the templates_c directory. Smarty creates files in it, however the compiled template (template.tpl.php) is 0 bytes in size. There are other files in there (e.g., 3f29a89bbc343) which seem to contain valid info.

The only difference between paths is that my development is on my C: drive and the hosted site is on D: drive.

Any suggestions are most welcome. I will post more when I know more.

Cheers,

- Bob -
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
reformed1
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help you, but I never did figure out what that problem was. I switched back to my OS X box and I haven't had a problem since. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of IIS, Smarty bug. Good luck, and sorry I coulnd't be of service. Sad
gurubob
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally tracked down the problem, but I don't have a resolution yet. It all comes down to Smarty checking if a directory exists. For some reason my host is reporting that a directory doesn't exist, even though it does.

I'll have to dig some more yet (i.e., talk to host & do some testing). Otherwise I think I might have found a bug. I didn't want to stay up this late! (2:20am) Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gurubob
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I was too quick to post ... Sad
gurubob
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I finally tracked it down. I have been in touch with the provider and:

Quote:
Hosting on a windows machine requires the following on all the folders:

web user account

- modify
- read & execute
- list folder
- read
- write

Hope this saves someone some time!!!! Note that the config here was Win2000 Server and IIS.

Cheers! Wink

- Bob -
Reformed
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the disapeering web site is back. I moved my Smarty driven site from my desktop box to my Power Book (same OS). Permissions on my entire site are 777, all of my includes are set to the correct paths, I have covered all of my bases and I have the same problem I had with the same site when I tried to move it to a Windows box a while back.

I get the same thing I did then. I go to my default page, which is Smarty driven, and it displays a blank page with no error message, the teplates_c directory has a compiled page for the one that I just called and I get nothing. Blank pages for all of my Smarty driven stuff. Is there a known bug that might cause this problem?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any bug--perhaps you found one?

I refer you back to my original post--you cleared out the templates_c and cache dirs, yes? You are checking error messages generated by PHP, yes?
Reformed
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cleaned out the templates_c directory and I'm getting no errors at all. I've been watching the templates_c directory too; clearing it out, calling a page and then checking to see if it's compiling and it is. If I look at the compiled page, it looks good. My browser displays nothing and there's not anything viewable on "view source" either. No html is being output at all.

Funny thing is that this site works perfectly on the desktop computer that is was first created on, but not my laptop. It appears to be the same problem that occured when I tried to move it to a Windows box. I'm a little worried now because when I move this to a production server I don't know what might happen. For the record I'm using Mac OS 10.2.6, Apache 1.3.26, PHP v4.3.2, and the latest release of Smarty.

Shocked
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your PHP error reporting set to E_ALL ?
Reformed
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have error reporting set to E_All. Who should be owner of the directories created by Smarty? The Smarty generated directories in the templates_c directory are owned by "www". I don't know if this is supposed to be the case.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reformed wrote:
Who should be owner of the directories created by Smarty? The Smarty generated directories in the templates_c directory are owned by "www".

Typically, the directories will be owned by the user that started the webserver process (in this case, it sounds like the user is "www"). I'm not familiar with PHP on Mac's, so I don't think I should say much more Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Installation and Setup All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: