Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Filename too long?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vesech
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Filename too long? Reply with quote

Hello there,

I was trying to use some "text resources" as is outlined here http://blog.felho.hu/how-to-use-smarty-resources.html which I'm not 100% sure if smarty supports, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

This works great for templates within a certain character limit, the minute I go over this limit though fetch() is generating:

Code:

Smarty::fetch(./templates_c/%%73^732^7320BE27%%text%3ATest+message+on+%7B%24therecord%7Creplace%3A%227%22%3A%229%22%7D%21%21%0D%0A%0D%0A%28%7B%24testno%7D%29+%7B%24surname%7D%2C+%7B%24forename%7D+%7B%24displayno%7D%0D%0A%0D%0A%7B%24thedetails%7Clower%7D%0D%0A%0D%0A%0D%0A%7B%24thecount%7D.php) [function.fetch]: failed to open stream: File name too long in /export/home/gaving/htdocs/includes/test/smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php on line 1256

Is there a solution to this aside from using another resource method? I'm trying to allow the use of text resources so I can test that templates are being set correctly with say, with PHPUnit. E.g.:

Code:

public function testMessage() {

$message = <<<BODY
This is a text message with some variables {$test}.
This is a text message with some variables {$test2}.
This is a text message with some variables {$test3}.
This is a text message with some variables {$test4}.
This is a text message with some variables {$test5}.
This is a text message with some variables {$test6}.
BODY;

$this->notification->process(array('test' => 'test value'));
           $this->assertEquals('This is a...', $this->notification->getRenderedBody());
        }

Etc.

Cheers,
Gavin.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probplem is that in the text resource the template is passed in the template name which is used also to create the file names for the compiled template and cache files.

I see two possible work arounds:

1. Assign your string template to a smarty variable and use {eval} in your template.

2. Assign your string template to a global PHP variable, use anything short as template name and copy in smarty_resource_text_get_template the global PHP variable to $tpl_source.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Smarty3, which is under development, has a standard "string" resource type and will not show this problem.
vesech
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.Tews,

Thank you for your quick response and for manning these forums in general, you're a great help here.

I went with the first option and it has worked great, I should have thought of that one.

Cheers,

Ves.
Brandon!
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this exact problem using the exact resource. I didn't want to use the eval trick so I dug into the problem and traced it to where the filename is generated. How hard would it be to get a patch created? Here's my diff for Smarty.class.php:
Code:
1749,1751d1748
<             //the filename length has a limit, so a long resource name (auto_source) causes the template to fail
<             $auto_source = substr($auto_source, 0, 100);
<

The template blew up as soon as the resource/template name exceeded 137 characters. I truncated it to 100 just to be safe.

Another option that I just thought of that may help reduce collisions even more would be to hash $auto_source using md5.

Just food for thought.

EDIT:
Patch idea for a md5 hash:
Code:
1749,1750c1749,1750
<             // make source name safe for filename (the filename length has a limit, so a long template name (auto_source) causes it to fail)
<             $_filename = (strlen($auto_source) > 100) ? urlencode(md5($auto_source)) : urlencode(basename($auto_source));
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit of history, Smarty never used md5() for filename creation because of it's computation overhead. Since filenames are generated on every page load, it was decided to use a combination of urlencode() for file name recognition, and crc32() for hashing which is still plenty unique and 10x faster than md5() (at least it used to be, haven't benchmarked in some time.)

Smarty 3 alpha, I believe, is using md5() currently for filepath generation. We haven't done any exhaustive performance test on the code base yet, so it is yet to be determined if it will stay that way. If it is something negligible, it may stay.

Feel free to use md5() for your own purposes. Extend the class and make your own function for it.
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: No need to extend the Smarty class Reply with quote

I do not see there is a strong need to extend the Smarty class.
We rarely need the features of Smarty as our application logic.

In the function resources, $smarty object is instantly available with &$smarty parameter.

Modfiers may rearely or not at all need the $smarty object.

Same is the case for others.
To my way of programming, the guest book application in the official website is wrong, because, it does not clearly isolate the templating system. Rather, it mixes the programming/class files with the Smarty engine class files. (It made me confused, while I was learning the Smarty: Do I always have to extend the Smarty class? - Because, the sample application tells like that).

For example, if I am making a address book, I should write classes to use methods like, add_telephone(), edit_telephone(), and NOT like display('form.telephone.tpl').

If you do not extend the smarty class files, it becomes more clear about the differences between template engine, template files, application class files, and controllers. They all are different. Let the Smarty too remain unbound to your own applciation files.
picraig
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: quick md5 extending code Reply with quote

Code:

class extSmarty extends Smarty
{
    function _get_auto_filename($auto_base, $auto_source = null, $auto_id = null)
    {
      return parent::_get_auto_filename($auto_base, ($auto_source !== null ? md5($auto_source) : null), $auto_id);
    }
}
Ronald87
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: File name too Long? Reply with quote

Give a try to Long Path Tool, it's great and easy to use.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: