Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

a question about smarty installation

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grisword
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: a question about smarty installation Reply with quote

In the manual Smarty-2.5.0-docs.pdf, i found this :
Quote:

The Smarty directories are
only accessed by the Smarty library and never accessed directly by the web browser.
Therefore to avoid any security concerns, it is recommended to place these directories
in a directory off the document root.

i am using virtual host for my web site
i can not place these directories in a directory off the document root.
so i want to know if I put these directories in the document root, what is the disadvantage?
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for example: your templates are readable by a webbrowser. someone can download them and look for programming errors, or for stuff like {if $admin}...{/if} that he shouldn't know about.

your templates_c-folder contains php-files that a either readable by the webbrowser or executed out of context by the webserver (depending on smarty-version and webserver-settings). the former suffers from the same problems as the tpl-files above the latter, though unlikely, can lead to nasty unintended side-effects.

these two are just a starter. people can get really creative when it comes to misusing/exploiting computers (seems to be some strange anomaly of darwinism Smile )
Grisword
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
this was exactly what i was looking for.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: