Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

when is the next release 2.6.3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khan2265
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: when is the next release 2.6.3 Reply with quote

anyone know an estimated time for the release?
as well as any new features might be included?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be getting asked a lot recently and I'm not sure why. I don't know when the next release is planned but the last release was 2.6.2 (February 17, 2004) which is less than 90 days ago.

If you check the changelog since then very few changes have been made to the codebase (some bug fixes) and most changes have revolved around the documentation (which moved from SGML docbook to XML docbook). Personally, I am using the CVS version of Smarty as I find it very stable considering that new no real development changes are happening to it (at least in the last while)--most changes in CVS are bug fixes.

I ask--what does everyone expect from another release? What is wrong with the 2.6.2 release that needs to be changed? Why is it important that another release should be forth-coming. Having many issues to deal with in my job, I find Smarty's stability reassuring, particularly since it is an important library/toolkit that I rely on.

Search the forums and mailing lists and you will find that the main core of developers have commented that they think Smarty is "done". That doesn't mean it won't evolve or change or even take new directions in the future--but I take it to mean that Smarty is in a "stable" period of its lifetime. One great thing I have appreciated about Smarty development is that it is based on need, quality, speed and features -- not marketing optics.

If there was anything that I think Smarty can use right now, it is an updated TODO list Wink
johannes
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: opps Reply with quote

Hi boots

This is not about Smarty beeing "stable" or "done", I think this is about communication and information from the developers.

The questions about future Smarty realeses is an result of the lack of information, and lack of to do list.

When we dont know anything we ask... I guess.
Hinrich
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: when is the next release 2.6.3 Reply with quote

khan2265 wrote:
anyone know an estimated time for the release?

I guess, if it is ready.
Duncan
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boots wrote:
Search the forums and mailing lists and you will find that the main core of developers have commented that they think Smarty is "done".

Yup, I'm barely scratching the surface of smarty, but from my current point of view I wouldn't know what else to expect with another release, since it already covers all my needs.

I would see the next step in additional plugins, available for the public and easy to integrate into any Smarty project.
...but that's where we -the users- come into action and should try to contribute to the project by adding some of the used features in our own applications as plugins for the whole smarty community. Cool
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: opps Reply with quote

johannes wrote:
This is not about Smarty beeing "stable" or "done", I think this is about communication and information from the developers.

The questions about future Smarty realeses is an result of the lack of information, and lack of to do list.

When we dont know anything we ask... I guess.

Hey johannes--

I feel bad if I made it appear that asking was somehow inappropriate, so I apologize if anyone was given that impression.

I understand that part of the sentiment (curiousity), but what I don't understand is the missing part of the query (need). I think if people are asking for release dates, they should at least say why they are asking. Is a feature they need missing? Is there a bug they need fixed (or is only fixed in cvs)? Are they trying to plan around other needs? Basically, what is motiviting the question in the first place?

The TODO list is indeed old (as I also suggested). Still, Smarty is hardly a new project. It is telling that the smarty-dev ML has slowed to a crawl in the last few months. You can usually tell when something new is coming down the pipe because that ML heats up a little bit prior to releases.

Never-the-less, the project seems to provide a new minor release every half year or so and a point release every couple of months. You can see the same for yourself by looking back over the changelog.

I think Duncan hit the nail on the head--the big things to do with Smarty now involve community related things like a new integrated web site, better docs, plugin repositories, etc. This too, the dev team is presently working on (or at least planning--spare cycles are hard to come by).

My gut tells me that anything really "new" with Smarty won't happen until we see PHP5 widely accepted.
electr0n
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that Smarty is done. But there some things I wish for the future, like you said, a PHP5 Version of Smarty and if possible reducing the functions which are not used anymore, like deprecated things(if there are such features).
johannes
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: just one more... Reply with quote

Hi again - I agree to you, I do not miss anything at the moment an I guess I dont use all the power in Smarty. Thera are many thins to discover for the most of us.

Many projects ask, most active, the users so share their code, like home made plugins, framworks and so on, Smarty could be more active in doing so, example like the pear project package page, http://pear.php.net/packages.php.

Duncan wrote:
I would see the next step in additional plugins, available for the public and easy to integrate into any Smarty project.
...but that's where we -the users- come into action and should try to contribute to the project by adding some of the used features in our own applications as plugins for the whole smarty community. Cool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: