Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Variables stored inside cached templates?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahri
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Variables stored inside cached templates? Reply with quote

I guess this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on it despite searching about, so I'll attempt to butter you up in the hope of getting a reasonable answer Wink I've successfuly integrated Smarty into a framework I'm working on, and am extremely pleased with the results thus far; the ability to not only cache a page but to have dynamic portions within this cache is great, not to mention the ease of scripting for it.

So anyway, my problem is this; I want to store a timestamp, or perhaps other variables in a cached template and then use these variables in a dynamic portion of the same template. Eg. I could store the current timestamp as some variable, and every time the page is viewed the dynamic part could output something like:

<!-- Template created 1086479930 seconds after the UNIX epoch began -->

So I tried this out;

Code:
{assign var="then" value=$smarty.now}<!-- Template created {dynamic}{$then}{/dynamic} seconds after the UNIX epoch began -->

And the first time I load the page there is no cached copy so it is processed, great stuff, we get what we'd hope for:

<!-- Template created 1086479930 seconds after the UNIX epoch began -->

Unfortunately when I next load the page I check for a cached copy and load that if it exists - as I should when caching Wink - but $then does not exist in this copy (as I kinda expected):

<!-- Template created seconds after the UNIX epoch began -->

So I now know that Smarty doesn't store variables inside the template by default. My question then is this; does Smarty support *any* way of storing variables inside a template (ignoring the possibility of creating a function that parses the template string looking for commented vars - which I consider to be bad form). If not then oh well, it's not that important - but I'm here to learn so I figured I'd ask!

Ultimately I'd like to do something like:

Code:
{assign var="then" value=$smarty.now}<!-- Template is {dynamic}{$smarty.now-$then}{/dynamic} seconds old -->

But this isn't possible with my current understanding.

Edit: forgot to point out that I'm using the block function smarty_block_dynamic suggested in the Smarty docs here.
electr0n
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$smarty.now is already a timestamp which contains the seconds from the begin of the UNIX Time till now Smile.
Code:
<!-- Template is {dynamic}{$smarty.now}{/dynamic} seconds old -->
Ahri
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electr0n wrote:
$smarty.now is already a timestamp which contains the seconds from the begin of the UNIX Time till now Smile.
Code:
<!-- Template is {dynamic}{$smarty.now}{/dynamic} seconds old -->

I was talking about storing the timestamp in a variable when the cached template is created and then echoing that variable in a dynamic portion. Unfortunately the variable doesn't seem to be stored inside the cached template, and therefore cannot be recalled when loading said cached template.

I'm asking if there is a way to store a variable in a cached template for later recall in a dynamic portion of the same template. Alternative methods to achieve the example I gave are not useful unless this is understood and built upon.
neildogg
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Use this Reply with quote

http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/caching.cacheable.php

The way I use this is that I cache one of the variables, specified in the fourth parameter. I then override it with a temporary parameter of another name. The function checks to see if the temporary parameter exists, and if it does not, it returns the cached one.

-Neil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to have your dynamic logic grab the filemtime() from the cached file (time it was created/updated)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: