Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Am I not allowed to edit & redistrabute Smarty

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy-
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Am I not allowed to edit & redistrabute Smarty Reply with quote

I'm building a PHP5 CMS using Smarty as my template engine. As of now, I have error handling turned off, however I would like to have an in-depth error reporting system and becuase of the use of vars in the Smarty class, I get errors about vars being depreceated and to use public/private... etc.

Also, in addition to modifying the vars, can I edit smarty to change the way variables are handled? I'd like all arrays to to be $var[key] instead of $var.key so I can add to values. Such as $var[key].' - '.$var[name]

Am I allowed to make these changes and redistrubute it with my commercial application as long as I provide the Smarty license in the download package?
TGKnIght
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://smarty.incutio.com/?page=SmartyFrequentlyAskedQuestions#other-1
Jeremy-
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that, however the answer reads:

A: Yes, you can. Smarty is licensed under the [LGPL] and distributing an unmodified smarty source as part of a commercial product is just fine.

That's why I decided to ask.
TGKnIght
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I didn't see that comment... but here is an excerpt from the LGPL contained in Smarty.class.php

Quote:

* This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
* modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
* License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
* version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Another excerpt taken from http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html

Quote:

We protect your rights with a two-step method: (1) we copyright the library, and (2) we offer you this license, which gives you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify the library.
Jeremy-
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thank you, TGKnIght. Smile
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy- wrote:
I noticed that, however the answer reads:

A: Yes, you can. Smarty is licensed under the [LGPL] and distributing an unmodified smarty source as part of a commercial product is just fine.

That's why I decided to ask.

Yes, unmodified. Unlike a BSD license, if you modifiy the sources then you must also licence (and make available) your modified sources under the same terms that it was provided to you (so either as LGPL or GPL). Note that you only have to L/GPL and release the modified versions of Smarty -- not your otherwise unrelated code that happens to use Smarty.

So, if you want to release a product with a modified version of Smarty, you can do so as long as you meet the obligations of the LGPL as TGKnight pointed out Wink

Cheers.
TGKnIght
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok yes, this is a conversation I've had with my boss a few times... like you said we the package we are creating includes the smarty library, but we are providing that to them as LGPL, the custom programming such as the templates, custom php code, database design etc is what we are actually selling.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: