Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

GoogleMapAPI discussion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Add-ons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGKnIght
Smarty Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: GoogleMapAPI discussion Reply with quote

Ok so I jumped on this as soon as I saw Monte's post. I had read in Popular Science that Google was releasing their mapping interface and was planning on looking into it.. There's all kinds of neat things you can do, for example : http://www.chicagocrime.org

Anyway, my plans are not so grand, I will be utilizing the maps on customer sites to provide directions to their locations.

So I began to integrate Monte's map class into my program, easy as pie!

After a bit of fooling around I have a few things to note :

I altered the width and height to be string variables which can include either 'px' or '%'

Code:

~~Line 164 in variable declarations
var $width = '500px';
var $height = '500px';

In the getMap() method a slight alteration to accomodate by removing the 'px' that was hardcoded into this line :

Code:

~~Line 719
$_output = sprintf('<div id="%s" style="width: %s; height: %s"></div>',$this->map_id,$this->width,$this->height) . "\n";

The next issue was with styling, the stylesheet I had in place mangled the map and all the controls. I fixed this by defining a few new id's in my stylesheet. (PS The ID you want to use in your stylesheet = "map" if you didn't specify a different one when instantiating the map object)

Code:

#map {
   width: 100%;
   height : 100%;
   padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
   margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}

#map div, #map p {
   padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
   margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
   background-color: transparent;
}

This was good because now the maps were actually sizing to my browser window width-wise.. but height-wise 100% doesn't mean anything apparently Smile

So the next thing to do was create a javascript that dynamically changes the map's (this should work for IE and Moz)

Code:

/*
Created by : owenc/at/totalsales/dot/com
Date Created : 11/30/2005

Purpose : This script detects the browsers current height and resizes the div with id="map" to that height

Use :
   window.onload=gMapSize
   window.onresize=gMapSize
*/

function getHeight() {
   var myHeight = 0;
   if( typeof( window.innerHeight ) == 'number' ) {
      //Non-IE
       myHeight = window.innerHeight;
   } else if( document.documentElement && ( document.documentElement.clientHeight || document.documentElement.clientHeight ) ) {
      //IE 6+ in 'standards compliant mode'
      myHeight = document.documentElement.clientHeight;
   } else if( document.body && ( document.body.clientHeight || document.body.clientHeight ) ) {
      //IE 4 compatible
      myHeight = document.body.clientHeight;
   }
   return myHeight;
}

function gMapSize () {
   mapwidth=getHeight()

mymap=document.getElementById? document.getElementById("map") : document.all.map

mymap.style.height=parseInt(mapwidth)
}

and in your html

Code:

<script language="JavaScript1.2" src="{$Site.js_path}/GoogleMap.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
   window.onload=gMapSize   
   window.onresize=gMapSize
</script>

Anyway that's where I'm at thus far. Hope this helps any other developers out there.

Chime in if you are using it!
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adjusted the library to allow either px or % for the width/height. Thanks for the help!
infield
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Multiple marker icons Reply with quote

Is it possible to create multiple icons and assign each one when the marker is being created with add addMarkerByAddress or addMarkerByCoords?

Also small typo in docs, the addMarkerByCoords example uses addMarkerByAddress function.

Very cool class. Thanks!
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, you can only set one global icon/shadow for the map markers. This may change when I get a chance to work on it, or someone else beats me to it Wink
infield
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and take a look and make some notes, but I'm a newb.

The other thing I'll try and look into is an auto-size for setZoomLevel() that would set the proper zoom level for a set of markers.

Again a really nice class!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Add-ons All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: