Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Why can't this be done? {$v->getA()->do()}

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john2496
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Why can't this be done? {$v->getA()->do()} Reply with quote

I get the error...

Fatal error: Smarty error: [in /var/www/html/cp/components/..//themes/auto1/Article.tpl line 9]: syntax error: unrecognized tag: $articles[id]->getCategory()->getName() (Smarty_Compiler.class.php, line 439) in /var/www/html/cp/lib/Smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

when I try to use the following code in my template...

{$anInstance->getAnotherInstance()->getString()}

I'm in shock that smarty is having issues with that simple code, is there any solution to this or am I going to have to drop smarty all together?
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop it. Bye!
john2496
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I present you w/ a problem in YOUR product, and your answer is to do nothing about it?

You are content w/ having a sub-standard piece of software that you are trying to provide to mass consumers all because of your own insecurity and pride issues? "OMG FINE DROP IT BYE!" What a woman.

Pardon for me threatening to drop your poorly designed piece of junk if it can't function for basic programmer needs.

It is natural for every product to have errors and omissions. You're not perfect and it goes w/out saying that your product is nowhere near perfect.

I feel sorry for that kid in your avvy.

There are absolutely no benefits for me by using Smarty. It's designed primarily and entirely for noobs like yourself.

I hope Smarty dies w/ you along side it.

Ciao
john2496
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering why this kid is so sad?

He knows smarty blows.
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem was already discussed here: http://www.phpinsider.com/smarty-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3862

You should have just used the forum's search instead of flaming around, moron.
john2496
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no possible way I can search for this error message. There are no common search terms for it.

Next time I'll be sure to search for my exact error and hope that somebody had the exact same error w/ the exact same variables and everything or perhaps I could search for your unspecific, generalized error message.

By the way, you didn't even fix the problem, even in the other "discussion."

Stop being a lazy &%#& and fix it so that some day real programmers like me will be able to use Smarty.

Until then... accept mediocrety, because that's the most I can say your product is.
Panama Jack
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messju wrote:
Your problem was already discussed here: http://www.phpinsider.com/smarty-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3862

You should have just used the forum's search instead of flaming around, moron.

I do wish people would stop telling others to use the search feature in phpBB2 as it is very lacking. It will never take you directly to a message with the search terms. Sure it will list all topics that contain the search terms but never the post inside the topic thread that contains them. There could be 50 pages in a topic thread and the terms you are searching for are only found at page 47. You have to read through ALL of the first 46 pages before you find what you were searching for. The phpBB2 search doesn't provide links to the exact post inside a topic thread that contains what you were searching for. So telling people to use the Search feature in phpBB2 is like telling them to kiss off on an active board.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john2496 wrote:
What a woman.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Oh forget it, I don't have time for that sort of nonsense.

Last edited by boots on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panama Jack wrote:
I do wish people would stop telling others to use the search feature in phpBB2 as it is very lacking. It will never take you directly to a message with the search terms. Sure it will list all topics that contain the search terms but never the post inside the topic thread that contains them. There could be 50 pages in a topic thread and the terms you are searching for are only found at page 47. You have to read through ALL of the first 46 pages before you find what you were searching for. The phpBB2 search doesn't provide links to the exact post inside a topic thread that contains what you were searching for. So telling people to use the Search feature in phpBB2 is like telling them to kiss off on an active board.

No its not. How can you even begin to imply such a thing? If YOU do not have time to search first -- even if it DOES take time and effort, then how can YOU expect OTHERS to take time and effort to help YOU out and answer YOUR questions? Besides, if you don't like PHPBB's search, Google crawls these forums all the time. Saying that "search is broken" is a cop-out. It really does work a LOT better than the impression given by that quote. I know, because I do lots of searching in this forum -- mostly for those polite folks not yet savvy enough to know what to search for themselves or perhaps a little too lazy to try for themselves. Here is a case where the person started rude and became progressively ruder. What to do with an individual like that? Blame it on PHPBB? Blame it on the volunteers that make Smarty possible to begin with? I think not.

@john2496: BTW -- the correct search term that should have been used for this question was "method derefrencing" (or even "method chaining") and anyone who doesn't know that certainly has no business using such a feature, let alone be writing software. That you would then have the temerity to suggest that others are noobs for not supporting such a "basic" feature (which didn't appear in PHP until version 5) is beyond hilarity.

I'm closing this topic as it is very unproductive.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: