Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty confidence?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanzhao
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Smarty confidence? Reply with quote

Well, it took me a while to start learing Smarty(about two years of thinking), but not learning itself. I was hesitated mainly because I don't have confidence on Smarty, there were just too many questions in my mind at the begining. Unlikely, PHPLib template which I've been using it for a long time, it's low-profile, simple and easy, I don't have to worry too much about the script structure and it's features. I only have to include it once in my project and I've been using it over and over again, totally forget about Smarty.

After learning Smarty, it seems Smarty is pretty easy and powerful too, but my questions for Smarty are:
    Is Smarty PHP officially supported? A standard PHP package?

Are there many servers support Smarty, or I have to include it in my project?

I would like you opinion to build my confidence please.

Thanks Rolling Eyes
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been using Smarty since, hmm the first day or before? Wink Coming from a developer perspective and using Smarty to run hundreds of sites, I can say with confidence that I certainly trust it. There isn't commercial support AFAIK, but the help you get from these forums and the mailing lists should be more than enough to get you through problems.

I'm not sure what you mean by "standard PHP package". Smarty is a PHP class libarary, you can plug it right into your own applications.

As for server support, they must run a recent version of PHP, at least 4.0.6. I think that's what the docs say although it isn't widely tested previous to 4.2. If you have safe_mode enable you might need to set use_sub_dirs to false. Otherwise it should work fine.

All I can say is set it up in a development environment and see what you think.

Monte
andre
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is Smarty PHP officially supported? A standard PHP package?
Are there many servers support Smarty, or I have to include it in my project?

It's not a part of PEAR if you think something like this. Smarty is just a "simple" (sorry Monte - I meant "powerfull" Wink ) class library written in pure PHP. You don't need to install anything to make it work. Just copy the Smarty files into a subdirectory of your application and include them. So yes, you can use Smarty on (nearly) all web servers running PHP.

BTW: I am using Smarty on PHP 4.3.0 and PHP 4.1.0. It works for both very well Very Happy
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official, eh?

Well, it is hosted at the PHP.net site, like pear and gtk. No offence but I really don't think pear is all that.
andre
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, it is hosted at the PHP.net site, like pear and gtk

Ahhm... rigtht... missed that.

Quote:
No offence but I really don't think pear is all that.

No it's not, you're absolutely right Smile I prefer my own classes instead of PEAR but it has some nice ideas.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: