Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

massive performance impact on initial template compiling
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moneysack
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: massive performance impact on initial template compiling Reply with quote

Hi to all.

I having a problem with a massive performance impact on the initial template compiling with Smarty3 beta 6 trough Smarty3 beta 8 svn.
Other Smarty3 Versions not tested.

Maybe anyone here can help or give me a hint to find the problem.

First of all, a Smarty-Template is coded as following:
include header.tpl
- config_file
- include js_head.tpl
own template code
include footer.tpl
- include js_foot.tpl

The header-Template includes a config_file at the Beginning with some Language-Vars (round-about 240 KB / 5000 Rows). And both files include another Template (js_head.tpl in Header an js_foot.tpl in Footer).

On the initial compiling of the Templates the Apache/PHP Process need around 10 Seconds to Display the Result.

After the first call of the Template, the Page is lightning fast.

When i update the config-files and Smarty has to recompile it, it is slow again. When i comment out the Config-File in the Header.tpl, the initial compile-Time is a little bit faster (round-about 5 Seconds).

The Problem is not the compile-time itself directly, the problem is that i have a High-Load Website with approx. 4 Million Page-Impressions and when Smarty needs to recompile something, all Apache Processes locks each other because of File-Locking or something. In that case no Files are served for about 30 seconds up to 5 Minutes.

I don't use any special Smarty-Method - only the assign Method.

I have a productive site with mainly the same templates and Config-Files except the Smarty-Version (Version 2) and PHP-Version (5.2.x).

Here some other Details to the installed Software:

Freebsd 8.0-RELEASE-p2
Apache 2.2.15
PHP 5.3.2 with libxml, SPL, curl, memcache, eAccelerator, ADOdb-Ext, PCRE, mysql, xdebug (only for development)

Maybe i have forgotten some Extensions for use with Smarty3?

If any further details are needed, just say it.

Thanks for any help
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed compiling is in Smarty3 significant slower as in Smarty2 because of a lexer/parser which makes syntax definitions and maintance much more easier as in SMarty2.

As you said normally this does not really matter as compiling is a onetime only process after modifications.

I think what happens is that you are getting too many request for a modified page during the time until the first request has finished compiling. So the compiling gets triggered many times in parallel.

If your system is so havily loaded and the template are normally stable you could think about having $smarty->compile_check = false; to disable automatic compiling. This will also increase performance for all pages loads.

After you have modified your templates you could use the $smarty->untility-compileAllTemplates() method to get all modifcations compiled in one thread.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a very high traffic site, you are running into a race condition when template(s) need recompiled. You could have hundreds of threads (needlessly) trying to make the recompile happen. I would suggest one of the following:

1) bring offline, run $smarty->utility->compileAllTemplates(), bring online

2) copy new templates AND compiled templates from an identical development server so they won't need recompiled. Be sure file datestamps are preserved.

3) a custom code solution with a file lock. This would be a much more complicated approach, as it introduces possible deadlocks.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like U.Tews idea. disable compile_check, then manually compile files with compileAllTemplates, or have a special case that enables compile_check and loads the page.
moneysack
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is the way to go for the future.

Is there a method for compiling all Config-Files manually, or is this done by compileAllTemplates too?

Are the old compiled Templates deleted after compileAllTemplates has finished or before? And what is, if a Client requests a Template that is deleted because of the run of compileAllTemplates?
For Example the header.tpl, which is included in all other Templates.

Thanks for your replies.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. The config files are currently not covered by compileAllTemplates(). I will extend the utility class for this in the near future.

compileAllTemplates() will replace the compiled template file whenever the compilation of a single template file is finished. But you can also set compile_dir to a different folder and copy all compiled templates at a later time.
moneysack
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright...

I've done some Code-Engineering and found out that the Method compileAllTemplates() is checking all Templates, and if it find a modified template it begin to recompile.
But the recompiled template isn't saved because of using the Method Smarty_Internal_Template::getCompiledTemplate() called from line 85 in Smarty_Internal_Utilitys.

I think the Method Smarty_Internal_Template::compileTemplateSource() has to be called instead, to compile and save the Template.

Setting the $force_compile to true in Method-Call will build up all Templates, what isn't what i want.

Is this a failure, or is this wanted?

[b]EDIT:[/b]
On my System the Templates do not recompile. I have to set compile_check to true in the utility - Then all modified templates were recompiled and saved, but under another Filename. Why?!
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The call of getCompiledTemplate() is correct. If force_compile is false it compiles and saves just the modified templates.

A call of compileTemplateSource() will always compile independing of the force_compile setting.

Note that the fullpath of the template source is encoded in the compiled filenames. This is required to handle templates with identical filenames but different folders. If you run compileAllTemplates() from a different source folder fullpath you can't copy them to the target system because different filenames.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed the log output of compileAllTemplates() to display which templates have been found up to date and which have been compiled.

This is in the SVN now.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new method utility->compileAllConfig() has been added to the SVN to compile all config files.
rudder
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is offtopic, but what would be a few recommended scenarios in situations of load balanced servers each which have their independent templates_c folders?

In our situation we will have multiple servers that need templates compiled, and we push template changes multiple times per day.

It seem impractical to have to go into each server to run this utility, especially given our need to potentially push templates frequently in short bursts.

I wonder if the following is practical:

• push files to deployment server
  • Run compileAllTemplate() utility
  • rsync templates + templates_c to production servers

Previously our deployment method using Smarty2 is to:

• rsync templates to production server, but EXCLUDE templates_c and let each serve recompile.
moneysack
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rudder:

With Smarty2 i used the same method as you.

With the complex Lexer/Parser of Smarty3, on a High-Load Website, this is not a good Idea.

I think the best is, to share the whole Web-Directory (with templates_c etc.) with NFS or something. Now you can run the Method compileAllTemplates() from any server.
The only Problem is that you need more Redundancy and maybe some sort of High-Availability Software.

@U.Tews:
I will checkout the SVN soon.
Whats with the fullpath-thing?

When no compiled Template is available and i request the Site as usual (example: index.php), then the fullpath is another as when i call another File to recompile all Templates (example: mgmt/recompileall.php)?

And thanks for programming the new utility Method Smile
Lemon Juice
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
3) a custom code solution with a file lock. This would be a much more complicated approach, as it introduces possible deadlocks.

I think this is a very good idea - why would it be complicated? Sure, deadlocks can happen but usually that would be very rare and the compiler could automatically release deadlocks after say 60 seconds (could be customizable). On a heavy traffic site that would drastically reduce server load. For example, now there could be 50 separate threads compiling one template. With locking there would be just 1 thread compiling and 49 threads doing sleep. Now multiply that by the number of other templates in a system and the performance difference grows even more. I think it would be a good if such a mechanism was built in into smarty.

As to the compileAllTemplates() method - how about if it accepted an optional parameter which would specify the template file path on the productions server? The path would then be only used to encode file paths in file names. In this way it would be possible to compile templates on a development server and upload them directly to the production server.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemon Juice wrote:
mohrt wrote:

I think this is a very good idea - why would it be complicated? Sure, deadlocks can happen but usually that would be very rare and the compiler could automatically release deadlocks after say 60 seconds (could be customizable). On a heavy traffic site that would drastically reduce server load. For example, now there could be 50 separate threads compiling one template. With locking there would be just 1 thread compiling and 49 threads doing sleep. Now multiply that by the number of other templates in a system and the performance difference grows even more. I think it would be a good if such a mechanism was built in into smarty.

As to the compileAllTemplates() method - how about if it accepted an optional parameter which would specify the template file path on the productions server? The path would then be only used to encode file paths in file names. In this way it would be possible to compile templates on a development server and upload them directly to the production server.

I have an idea about this that may be simpler. How about the following:

When the compile_check determines that a template needs recompiled, the FIRST thing it does is touch the existing compiled file, so no more threads will be attempting to compile it. Then continue to recompile and change out the compiled file.

That would drastically reduce the number of threads trying to recompile, and no locking is necessary.

caveats:

* while compiling, other threads will continue to display the old compiled file, and not wait for the new one
* only works for recompiling, not new files

I think its a good compromise. The caveats are fairly inconsequential.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudder wrote:
Sorry if this is offtopic, but what would be a few recommended scenarios in situations of load balanced servers each which have their independent templates_c folders?

In our situation we will have multiple servers that need templates compiled, and we push template changes multiple times per day.

It seem impractical to have to go into each server to run this utility, especially given our need to potentially push templates frequently in short bursts.

I wonder if the following is practical:

• Run compileAllTemplate() utility
  • rsync templates + templates_c to production servers

Previously our deployment method using Smarty2 is to:

• rsync templates to production server, but EXCLUDE templates_c and let each serve recompile.

I use NFS to share both templates and compiled templates. It works a bit better on the maintenance side. You do incur the overhead of NFS networking, but since NFS can hold a (short) cache on the client side, it is pretty negligible.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: