Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

debug won't open console on inherited templates

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CircleDev
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: debug won't open console on inherited templates Reply with quote

I recently was trying to see if the data I wanted was being passed correctly to my template.

I found that setting setDebugging(true) would show the console window but if I setDebugging(false) and used {debug} in the template I wanted to check the console would not open.

As it turned out it seems that the culprit was that I am using an inherited template system with blocks (this is so awesome BTW Thanks to the devs for this feature!).
If I comment out the {extends file=.....} code the debug window show up straight away with my current templates vars displayed.

I would think this is a bug as the docs do not say anything about issues with inheritance for the {debug} command.

Just to clarify in code here is a base example

This fails to open the console
Code:
{* Smarty Template *}
{debug}

{extends file='private/admin_layout.tpl'}
{block name='content' append}
some content here
{/block}

this opens the console but does not display anything on the main page due to the fact that the core of the template is not included
Code:
{* Smarty Template *}
{debug}
{*
{extends file='private/admin_layout.tpl'}
*}
{block name='content' append}
some content here
{/block}

EDIT: I am running Smarty 3.1.4

I hope this can be fixed soon.

Please let me know if there is clarification needed.

Thanks
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'n not a bug.

In child templates everthing except {extends} and {block} tags is ignored as also stated in documentation.

You have to place the {debug} tag in the parent template.
CircleDev
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.Tews wrote:
It'n not a bug.

In child templates everthing except {extends} and {block} tags is ignored as also stated in documentation.

You have to place the {debug} tag in the parent template.

Ok Thanks for the clarification (I am still fairly new to smarty Wink

IMHO {debug} should work as I stated as this creates a simple workflow where the current child template can be simply debugged without going all the way to the top of the hierarchy to turn on debugging, which is effectively the same as finding my custom smarty subclass and setting setDebugging(true).
This would turn out to be especially useful for smaller templates populated by php from AJAX calls.

Thanks again and I will put in a feature request for this although I know it is not a big one.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be done as for template inheritance the child template source files are just containers where the source of child blocks is extracted from during compiling. Child templates are never executed just the resulting merged code of the parent template.
CircleDev
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.Tews wrote:
It can't be done as for template inheritance the child template source files are just containers where the source of child blocks is extracted from during compiling. Child templates are never executed just the resulting merged code of the parent template.

Ok I see. Well it was worth a try. Thanks for the further clarification I feel like such a noob right now Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: