Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty 3 on GitHub

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericingram
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Smarty 3 on GitHub Reply with quote

For convenience, I created a GitHub repo of the latest stable Smarty release (3.1.7 as of this post).

I wanted a way to simply clone new Smarty projects and pull updates into my projects. If you're interested in using it:

$ git clone git@github.com:ericingram/smarty

or visit

http://github.com/ericingram/smarty

Let know if you find it useful! @ericingram on Twitter
rudder
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance that the Smarty admin would consider switching Smarty's official repo to Git? Google Code should support Git as a repo type as of July 2011, and it would really make collaboration and forking easier to do in Git (using a pull requests model) than in SVN.

Plus it allows people to use new distribution and dependencies management methods like Symfony's vendors script, and PHP Composer (+ Packagist).

I feel that with template engines like Twig trying to steal the limelight its worth it for Smarty to start making itself available using more modern methods (eg Git).
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be switched to GIT now that google code supports it. It is on the TODO list.
rodneyrehm
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudder wrote:
Is there any chance that the Smarty admin would consider switching Smarty's official repo to Git? Google Code should support Git as a repo type as of July 2011, and it would really make collaboration and forking easier to do in Git (using a pull requests model) than in SVN.

Is Google supporting some sort of pull-request functionality like GitHub offers? Otherwise I don't see (quite) the benefit of using git anywhere but GitHub considering your argument of collaboration. git being the superior system aside, what are the real benefits of switching to git?

rudder wrote:
Plus it allows people to use new distribution and dependencies management methods like Symfony's vendors script, and PHP Composer (+ Packagist).

interesting, will look into this…

rudder wrote:
I feel that with template engines like Twig trying to steal the limelight its worth it for Smarty to start making itself available using more modern methods (eg Git).

Twig has got (and is gaining) traction because of Symfony. Symfony is a (so I'm told) quite nice framework. Because Twig integrates nicely and is propagated by Symfony, it's the obvious choice. The argument Twig would be gaining momentum because it's using git rather than svn is a fallacy.

Don't get me wrong… I'd be the first to replace our svn with a git repo. But I'd also move it to github.
rudder
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodneyrehm wrote:

Is Google supporting some sort of pull-request functionality like GitHub offers? Otherwise I don't see (quite) the benefit of using git anywhere but GitHub considering your argument of collaboration. git being the superior system aside, what are the real benefits of switching to git?

I think ideally being hosted on GitHub opens up Smarty to a LOT more developers since alot of them are on there already. However, even hosted on GoogleCode as Git is better than staying with SVN. I think once everyone in the Smarty ecosystem gets a taste of the collaborate possibilities of GitHub development model it's pretty hard to go back to the old ways.

rodneyrehm wrote:

rudder wrote:

Twig has got (and is gaining) traction because of Symfony. Symfony is a (so I'm told) quite nice framework. Because Twig integrates nicely and is propagated by Symfony, it's the obvious choice. The argument Twig would be gaining momentum because it's using git rather than svn is a fallacy.

Yeah I'm not making such an argument. All I was saying is that Twig is gainnig traction and is supporting new distribution methods and a superior versioning system, and I think these will boost Smarty too. It would also make it easier to try to use Smarty as a dependency in a Symfony project.

I think GitHub will make things vastly better too - morht and others, please consider GitHub for the actual repo location, you can stick with GoogleCode for your ticket and other needs if you wish Razz.
noiselabs
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarty on GitHub++

@ericingram How will you sync the repo? Is it daily, just stable releases? I find git faster so I could switch to your repo in my Symfony's vendor script.
tsmtsm
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with rudder.

I have used Smarty in the past in smaller projects and am thinking of using it in a new project again, as I consider it to be much more flexible than twig and like it better.

However, Smarty not being on Github is keeping the community from being able to give back to the project in an easy way and giving the project some drive, publicity, easy integration into other projects, etc...

+1000 Wink

Joke aside, I really think it's about time to move, because the momentum a good project gains on Github is simply mindblowing.
HappyDog
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Any news? Reply with quote

Any movement on this? It's been about 18 months since the last post where it was "on the TODO list".

Another benefit of Smarty being on Github would be that it could be added to the HipHop Virtual Machine framework tests at http://hhvm.com/frameworks/, which would help ensure that Smarty works properly from within this new PHP interpreter. At some time in the not-too-distant future HHVM compatibility is going to start becoming quite high up the list of requirements when considering a template engine, and it would be a shame for Smarty to be left behind.

I logged a ticket for the HHVM project to add Smarty to the page, but it looks like this is not possible without it being hosted on Github: https://github.com/facebook/hhvm/issues/2763

If this move is not going to happen soon, one option is to auto-sync the main SVN repo into Github as has been done here: https://github.com/opensolutions/smarty. However, it would need to be a full sync including the unit tests, which the existing clone does not include.

Is there any interest in doing one or other of these?

- HappyDog
Aristophan
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the ones that don't know: https://github.com/opensolutions/smarty

Quote:
Clone of the distribution trunk of the PHP Smarty templating engine. Sync'd hourly by our servers.

https://github.com/opensolutions/smarty/wiki

Ops, sorry, should have read the post to end! Wink
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find Smarty at Github
https://github.com/smarty-php/smarty

I did run Smarty a while ago under HHVM on a local machine
HappyDog
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can find Smarty at Github
https://github.com/smarty-php/smarty

That's exactly what I was after! Strangely, this didn't show up in a Google search ("smarty github") nor does it seem to be mentioned anywhere on Smarty.net!

It might be a good idea to put a link to that repository on the download page, at the least.

Cheers,

- Mark
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: