Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Thoughts on Smarty

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Frameworks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atu
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on Smarty Reply with quote

With OOP programming we can write reusable code and we can have a well-structured application api. But there are also limits. In a shared environment as on a server platform it isn’t possible to foresee memory usage. OOP programming, if pushed at its limits, takes more memory in usage and people, who have poor OOP knowledge lose quickly the overview of what is going on. Smarty give us an alternative to a strictly OOP way. Plugin functions are only loaded on demand. So an application, which makes heavy use of plugins, can take lesser memory usage as if the same functionality is included from an OOP api. This means if we use plugins to give live to an application we move the control to the templates.

Here we show a procedure to get data of a document and push it in a template. We assume that the application has a module-based structure. So if a module needs some data, which comes from an other module the example 1 code load first the api of a “doc” module (which can be a huge class) and assign the data to a smarty template variable. The example 2 is a plugin function of the “doc” module. It loads only a small class to get document data.

Examples 1:

Code:
include(‘module.doc.api.php’);
$doc = new doc();

$smarty->assign(‘docs’, $doc->get_doc($id_doc));

// in templates
{$docs[‘title’]}
{$docs[‘text’]}

Example 2:

Code:
function smarty_function_get_doc($params, &$smarty)
{
        include_once(‘get_doc_class.php’);
        $doc = new doc();

// or we can include directly the code here to get document data

$smarty->assign(‘docs’, $doc->get_this_doc( $params[‘id_doc’] ));
}

// in templates
{get_doc id_doc=$smarty.get.id_doc}
{$docs[‘title’]}
{$docs[‘text’]}

After several attempts to include Smarty in a modul-based application, the way showed as in the example 2 is a valuable alternative to a heavy structured OOP api.
Justin
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition to this, there's a good article about diference between pull-mvc and push-mvc patterns. you can read it here.

personally I'm thinking, that combination of both patterns is the best solution.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atu, this is interesting!

I certainly appreciate the idea for more minimal impact coding Smile The following is simply my perspective after a lot of trials and experimentation as well as experience implementing several sites which are now in production.

I've been humming and hawing over this issue. I'm not sure I entirely buy the plugin approach, at least based on my understanding of the way you have laid it out. My basic premise is that plugins are not intended to (and probably should not be used to) access and implement application logic.

The way I understand your proposal some of the application logic (and structure) is integrated into the template (I am very much against this). If a template can generically access (and instance) your application models, this can lead to some unwanted effects. For example, if two different modules are accessed and manipulated by a template, then the essential outcome is a new process that lies outside of your delivered application.

Another thing: if you are using plugins because they are loaded on demand, then consider this: every template requires data to render (otherwise it is merely static text) meaning that every template you consider will necesarilly make that plugin call -- you aren't saving anything on the actual data calls and you may be overcalling your models (two different templates may require the exact same data).

I don't use an MVC pattern (partially for the very reasons you mention). I do use an object-based pattern which pre-calculates a hierarchy (or graph) of node objects. Each object contains data to display as well as data relating to which template, css, javascript, etc that is to be used to render the data. In this way, the app is responsible for all aspects of the generated data as well as the specification of the "sititching" together (or layering) of the various template chunks. At the application level, I can choose to serialize data and otherwise shortcut the production process where appropriate. I use a fairly light-weight node object and the main burden is the data-persistence layer (which is highly abstracted) and not the actual graph hierarchy. Indeed, the contents of this hierarchy would necessarily have to be duplicated in some form by a plugin based method anyhow as the hierarchy is essentially just the payload data annotated with rendering data (as mentioned earlier).

I like this method as opposed to the plugin method because it leads to very clean development lines in terms of separating project tasks. I also like it better than "pure" MVC approaches because it is somewhat "lighter"--though I don't have hard data on the exact "costs" of this method in terms of resources, I intend to make some measurements on that. My experience tells me that the overhead is minimal (I am always concerned about resource utilization, but not exclusively).

Still, I've been wanting to provide a plugin to allow the templates to at least access the generalized persistance layer so that recordsets can be readily returned (in that case, the nodes would provide the metadata required for the templates to make the calls). It would be dead simple to enable this in my structure, but everytime I think of doing that I start to think about how that means that the templates can acquire arbitrary data (as opposed to easy access to the data I want them to have) and that stops me dead. The job of the template is to render data structures passed to it by the calling application -- and that is all. IMO, anything else breaks the paradigm.

I'm certainly not saying that my approach is the end-all (it can stand many improvements, that I can attest to). One day I would like to see another abstraction or tempalte layer developed which efficiently (and conveniently) encapsulates the hierarchy or application model as data. Perhaps one day.

Anyways, good food for thought and another nice post -- thanks for that!
atu
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boots,

Quote:

For example, if two different modules are accessed and manipulated by a template, then the essential outcome is a new process that lies outside of your delivered application.

Hmm, I can’t follow this. What you mean by “outcome is a new process”?

To give you a practical example: I’m the author of the cms calling Open Publisher http://www.open-publisher.net. Important parts of the application logic lie in the plugins, which can be included in the public templates. It gives template designers the flexibility to do what they want. They just have to use the right module plugins to include module related content in the templates.

Quote:

Another thing: if you are using plugins because they are loaded on demand, then consider this: every template requires data to render (otherwise it is merely static text) meaning that every template you consider will necesarilly make that plugin call -- you aren't saving anything on the actual data calls and you may be overcalling your models (two different templates may require the exact same data).

My experience with the model I mentioned above is that I never saw any overcalling. Rather the opposite. Furthermore the projects, which I realized, and my experience with them, show me that two different templates may require the same data, but often it isn’t the case.

There is a test page, which comes with the cms OP. It contains a template, which includes nearly all plugins that controls the application logic. In live project this wouldn’t ever be the case. But even there you can’t see any overcalling.

Thanks for your reply!
atu
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
I forgot to say that the method I use to include data in templates is only on solution between many others. May it isn’t the best one but it works. This method reduces the time between project planning and completion and in many cases I don’t have to write one single php line.

Boots, I can understand your doubts to include application logic in templates. But until today I cant see any solution, which is flexible and easy to handle.

Enjoy the canadian springtime!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Frameworks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: