Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Find old templates when upgrading

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonisnz
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Find old templates when upgrading Reply with quote

Hello. I have the following text in some templates

Code:

{include file="$_lang/$_format/standard/header.tpl"}
{include file="$_lang/$_format/menu_top.tpl"}

Im basically moving old templates into the /standard/ directory (header, footer, etc that are used on most pages. )

And I'll also upgrade other pages as well. I am wondering what other people do - to locate templates still using old templates WITHOUT just renaming them / moving them out of the directory - thus causing errors on the public pages when templates are not found.

Is there a way to put a date on each template, & have SMARTY create a report / log of any template it locates that are over 6, or 12 months old (or havnt got this date ?)

Or other method ?

I have about 4-5 subdomains & 50+ templates spread across each subdomain i'll want to check & improve/upgrade. (each subdomain has separate root directories)

PS - log idea (a config file to turn on/off the log - after you've checked them all.. )
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You first create acceptance tests. Then the problem is reduced to re-running the tests after each change.
gordonisnz
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive created a PHP script to look for specific comments (a date) and sort the dates / template names..

But its not a smarty process. BUT will be useful if someone creates a routine within the Smarty process.
gordonisnz
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:
You first create acceptance tests. Then the problem is reduced to re-running the tests after each change.

What / How is an acceptance test

EDITED:-

In Dec 2020 I decide to upgrade my templates.

I have 45 templates that call or use /html/footer.tpl

I update them as needed to /html/standard/footer.tpl.

I then delete /html/footer.tpl - but 3 months later in Feb 2021, I find several of my pages that i dont check frequently are still using the (now deleted) /html/footer.tpl & causing errors on my public website.

How does an acceptance test find pages using the old but VALID /html/footer.tpl template ? (before i delete it)?
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They find that after you delete it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: