Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Setting Compile Directory to a non-file system Stream

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gozzy
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Setting Compile Directory to a non-file system Stream Reply with quote

Way back in the dim and distant past (see this thread), there was a request to allow the compile directory to be moved to a stream.

I want to do the same as my application is highly distributed and centralisation is via a database. I have a stream wrapper for the database but I cannot get Smarty to play ball. I can use $smarty->setCompileDir('dbfs://templates_c/') to set the directory to my stream wrapper (protocol registered as 'dbfs'), but when testing on Windows the Smarty::_realpath() method mangles my stream wrapper path and changes all instances of / to \ so my stream wrapper never gets called.

For the cache I have resources which work perfectly, but there is no similar solution for compile.

Are there any solutions I am missing, or is this a bug in the handling of file names which use stream protocols?

Thanks,
G.
Gozzy
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably add that I am running the latest release, Smarty 3.1.39 on top of PHP 8. Smarty was installed via Composer.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would PHP then include files from this wrapper?
Especially considering that in normal setup, allow_url_include=Off.
Gozzy
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:
How would PHP then include files from this wrapper?

It is a stream wrapper registered with stream_wrapper_register() so any PHP code - including Smarty - would use the standard file access functions (e.g. fopen, fwrite, file_get_contents, etc), and the wrapper translates that. The precise implementation details of the wrapper are not important because PHP treats it the same as any other stream.

AnrDaemon wrote:
Especially considering that in normal setup, allow_url_include=Off

I am not trying to include template files this way, for that I already have a working custom Resource. My only interest is in pointing the compile directory at my stream.

The Smarty::_realpath() method supports streams, insofar as it uses a regular expression that parses the stream name correctly. The issue is the mishandling of directory separators when running on Windows. This might simply be a Windows only bug, or it might be deliberate, or I might be missing a trick in implementation. Any thoughts welcome!
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again: compiled template is a regular PHP code.
It is not read using file access functions, it is directly executed (see Smarty_Template_Compiled::loadCompiledTemplate).
Gozzy
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:
Yet again: compiled template is a regular PHP code.
It is not read using file access functions, it is directly executed (see Smarty_Template_Compiled::loadCompiledTemplate).

Understood, thanks.

Looking at Smarty_Template_Compiled::loadCompiledTemplate I see it uses include. By setting allow_url_include = On as you recommended I can get a test include to work just fine with my stream wrapper.

But, as I said originally, this still does not work because the Smarty::_realpath() method messes up the compile directory path on Windows so my stream wrapper never gets called. Indeed I get a fatal error in Smarty_Internal_Runtime_WriteFile->writeFile(), way before the file is read back and executed.

I suspect this is an unintended side-effect of the different directory separator on Windows so will raise it as a bug.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gozzy wrote:
By setting allow_url_include = On as you recommended I can get a test include to work just fine with my stream wrapper.

And any other stream wrapper including HTTP. Do you realize you just created a backdoor in your system that's waiting to be exploited?
Gozzy
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:
Gozzy wrote:
By setting allow_url_include = On as you recommended I can get a test include to work just fine with my stream wrapper.

And any other stream wrapper including HTTP. Do you realize you just created a backdoor in your system that's waiting to be exploited?

Indeed. Hence why I would prefer a more considered solution as posited in that thread from 2007. Given your knowledge of Smarty and PHP I would welcome any constructive thoughts you might have on that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: