Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

single script shared by multiple websites

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Frameworks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muralik
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: single script shared by multiple websites Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to get some idea if anyone have done this.

I want to have single instance of script on the server, and that script should be shared by multiple websites.

I wrote a script which access the database and uses smarty template system. i am specifying the table names in a configuration file.

I want to put the script at one place and all the websites should get different data based on the configuration file. and I the template directory is also specified in the configuration file.

So if there is some plugin change or soemthing, i will just change in the main script and all the websites will be reflected. and i will change the templates on each site accordingly.

Anyone help me on this type of framework,

I have apache webserver, when i create virtual hosts, do i need to map the sites for the same directory where script is installed? or shall i have some static links to that directory?
xces
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to allow the scripts on the other sites to access the directory with your main scripts. Look for more information on open_basedir. As this is a security risk, not many hosts will allow this unless you have your own server.
muralik
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: my server Reply with quote

it is my server,
I will look at what you mentioned,

I have to use the same script for different websites...

thanks will reply once i go through that..
Justin
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea is great.

But I think, that there are to many complex projects and such projects requires unique solutions. Few similar tables wouldn't be enough, I guess.

What do you think about this?
muralik
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: partial setup Reply with quote

I have done something partially, I actually didnt do anything to the script yet, didnt write configuration file yet,

probably i need to write a configuration file which will set
directory for templates
directory for smarty cache/compile directories
table prefix
database tables (such as categories, links etc)

My scripts are located in /www/virthosts/portal

and in the apache webserver httpd.conf

Code:
Alias /engine/ "/www/virthosts/portal/"
<Directory "/www/virthosts/portal/">
   DirectoryIndex index.php   
</Directory>

so here i made "engine" directory alias and in the .htaccess of the new website

and in my Virtualhost configuration
Code:
  ServerName naveenroyal.local
<Directory /www/virthosts/naveen>   
      AllowOverride All
      Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

and in the .htaccess file of the Virtual host (naveenroyal.local)

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^site/detail/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?(.*) /engine/detail\.php?id=$1&dir=$2
RewriteRule ^site/categories/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?(.*) /engine/sections\.php?id=$1&dir=$2

now if i go http://naveenroyal.local/site/categories/1/murali

i get what i want

I have given something like this and voila, i can see the output of that site and it looks like the script is running as if on the same site. images are not coming, i still need to check why they are not coming, i think some problem .htaccess rewrite rule.

But still i need to some R & D on this, if any have more ideas please let me know.

I might also have issues with smarty templates/compile directories.. i donno, i will soon work on that as well
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Frameworks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: