Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

{strip} That Turns New-Lines Into Single Spaces?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mankyd
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: {strip} That Turns New-Lines Into Single Spaces? Reply with quote

The {strip} tag is great save for one drawback. A lot of times when I create a template I put newlines in my text such that I don't have one long continuous line of text that runs off the side of the screen. i.e.:

Code:
<p>Text
on
multiple
lines</p>

The problem is that, when I surround a paragraph that like above with a pair of {strip} tags, the new line characters are erased, but not replaced with single spaces. Words at the end of one line run straight into the next:

Code:
<p>Textonmulitplelines</p>

Can the behavior or {strip} be changed or can we add an optional "newline_to_space" boolean value that replaces new lines with single spaces? Consecutive new lines can, of course, be reduced to a single space. This is the way HTML rendering would normally display them.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mankyd.

I'm hesistant to fool with {strip} due to code-injection issues.

Feel free to provide a patch for review if you are so inclined Wink
mankyd
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well, I haven't looked through the Smarty code too much, but so far I've come up with a pretty simple solution.

The {strip} tag currently uses the following regex to do it's job:
Code:
$text_blocks[$j] = preg_replace('![\t ]*[\r\n]+[\t ]*!', '', $text_blocks[$j]);

By changing this into two regexes, it will strip whitespace/new-lines between apparent html tags and turn other white-space/new-lines into single spaces:

Code:
$text_blocks[$j] = preg_replace('!>[\t ]*[\r\n]+[\t ]*!<', '><', $text_blocks[$j]);
$text_blocks[$j] = preg_replace('![\t ]*[\r\n]+[\t ]*!', ' ', $text_blocks[$j]);

It's not perfect in that, inevitably, CSS can change the layout of html tags, changing whether the whitepace between then is relevant. This does, however, fix white-space in ordinary text being completely erased.

In my own code, I hacked in a {reduce} tag rather than play with the {strip} tag directly. It piggy-backs on the code that strip uses, so it only requires that a few lines be added. If anyone is interested in this, let me know.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: