Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Compile vs Cache

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hichhiker
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Compile vs Cache Reply with quote

Just for my own education, what is a difference between Compile and Cache in Smarty?

I just wrote an app that uses smarty as frontend and when I went to put it on production box, I turned on caching - thinking it needs to be on .... Nothing happened. Well, I noticed that for dev purposes I turned on "force recompile" - turned that off and voila - all sorts of things start to act strange - I am seeing other users pages as if the app is jumping sessions and other fun stuff.

After some playing with it, I left the force_compile on and turned off caching and things more or less fixed themselves.

So from this I am making following assumptions:

Compile process converts TPL to PHP

Cache process caches the OUTPUT of the PHP (i.e. final generated page) and stores that

Am I right on this? And if so, is there a real world case where caching for a db backed app is useful?

Thanks

-HH
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Compile vs Cache Reply with quote

Hichhiker wrote:
[...]
Compile process converts TPL to PHP

Cache process caches the OUTPUT of the PHP (i.e. final generated page) and stores that

Am I right on this?

yes.

Quote:
And if so, is there a real world case where caching for a db backed app is useful?

you have to use different cache_ids (2nd parameter to display/fetch) to cache different output.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: