Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

dynamic extends

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimBroddin
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: dynamic extends Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thanks for the great work on Smarty. I love the new functionality in Smarty 3.

I'm working on a project where we have a number of parent templates and a number of child templates which we mix and match. I'm trying this:

{extends file=$extend_template}

But it does not seem to work because Smarty compiles the file dependencies and caches them in templates_c.

Does anyone know a workaround for this? At this moment I have turned force compile on but that's not the ideal solution.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As block replacement in template inheritance is a compile time porcess you can't make dynamic extends by using assigned variables and the {extedns } tag.

Use the "extends" resource instead to define the parent/child template relation ships.
starkj
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

just run into the same problem.

I want to set the template which is extended dynamically. Yes, this does not work in the first place since a template is complied once with the parent set at the first time. And disabling the cache is definitely a thing you don't want to do.

My template looks something like this:
Code:

{extends $parentTemplate}

{block name='content'}
foo
{/block

To make this work anyway, you can set a custom compileId for which I use the parent templates name:

Code:

$smarty->assign($parameters);
$smarty->setCompileId($parameters['parentTemplate']);
$xmarty->fetch('template.html.tpl');

or
Code:

$smarty->assign($parameters);
$smarty->fetch('template.html.tpl', null, $parameters['parentTemplate']);

This is meant to be a workaround and not best practice. The proper way to go is like already mentioned: Use the extends resource just to define parent/child relationship and then structure your templates in a way that you can do the rest by using blocks.

Regards
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: