Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Undefined index accessing undefined array item in Smarty 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strikernl
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Undefined index accessing undefined array item in Smarty 3 Reply with quote

In smarty 2 this was 'valid', at least it didn't spawn any notices, even on error_reporting(E_ALL), with the links key not existing:

Code:
{if $gallery.links.$imagefile.url}
   do something if that var is set and not null
{/if}

Now in smarty 3 this gives me

Code:
Notice:  Undefined index: links in [snip]templates/templates_c/be7b4e921596138e5e068096ec3476dcd65020fd.file.foo.tpl.php on line 39

Unless I wrap that {if} in isset(), which is something I prefer not do, for template 'cleanness' reasons. The point of smarty is not having to do all of the strict checking with isset() and empty() and is_array() that you have already done in PHP, right? Setting smarty 'internal' error reporting to E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE is also not really an option I like.

Is there any chance this is a bug that will be fixed, or is this just the new behaviour? Could it be made into an option?
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an intended change. Smarty2 and the early Smarty3 versions did always turn E_NOTICE off. This was against the coding standards in many organizations as other coding errors for example in plugins might not be detected.

With the error_reporting property you have now full control about Smarty's error reporting behaviour.
strikernl
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not possible to wrap such calls in isset() in the compiled template automatically?

The thing is, there are some notices I _do_ want to get, such as calls to non-existent Smarty functions (for instance, I am migrating this from Smarty 2, and I want to rewrite everything to Smarty 3 as I go, not in one effort. So calls to register_function for instance _should_ give a notice).
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you can set up $smarty->error_reporting. It's setting is used just for the processing time of the template itself.

With $smarty->error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE you get exactly the old behaviour.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: