Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Operaters

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenn
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Operaters Reply with quote

While designing an updated template I ran into some minor snags caused by the fact that the comparision operaters < and > are the same as the HTML tag delimiters. I think maybe it would be an idea to replace variable operators that use < and > with some kind of nemonic. The current code is as follows:

Code:

{if $striplist[row].days_ago<-1}{$striplist[row].days_ago|replace:'-':''} days away
{elseif $striplist[row].days_ago==-1}tomorrow
{elseif $striplist[row].days_ago==0}Today
{elseif $striplist[row].days_ago==1}Yesterday
{else}{$striplist[row].days_ago} days ago{/if}

As you can imagine, Dreamweaver doesn't like this very much and keeps trying to replace the < symbols with HTML entities. Life would be a lot easier if instead of < you couls use "lt" (less than) and instead of > you could use "gt" (greater than)
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Operaters Reply with quote

Fenn wrote:
Life would be a lot easier if instead of < you couls use "lt" (less than) and instead of > you could use "gt" (greater than)

then just use "lt" and "gt". smarty supports them for ages Smile
Fenn
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, then I change my feature request to have that stuff IN THE DOCUMENTATION! Smile The page on Math just says "you can use math with variables" and doesn't mention that.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually added to the documentation about 3 months ago (details).

Note that it was added to the doc page for the "if" function and not for the math functionality.

Greets.
Fenn
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it on the page for if but not the page for math? That's going to lead to frustration, as I can attest to. People wanting help over what operaters are legal in math are not going to go to the page on if without, at the least, a note at the bottom of the page, something along the lines of "For more information on available operaters, consult the documentation on if".

Don't get me wrong, I do think Smarty is an excelent package but the documentation sucks. Just one link on the math page would have been all that was needed to avoid this. Or maybe having a seperate section on operaters that both if and math then link to.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenn wrote:
Why is it on the page for if but not the page for math? That's going to lead to frustration, as I can attest to. People wanting help over what operaters are legal in math are not going to go to the page on if without, at the least, a note at the bottom of the page, something along the lines of "For more information on available operaters, consult the documentation on if".

Don't get me wrong, I do think Smarty is an excelent package but the documentation sucks.

Its not included with the section on math because it is not related to math functionality -- it is strictly related to the way "if" is processed. Your example is indeed concerned precisely with that. May I ask why you thought to look under "math" (instead of "if") and what alternative organization you may suggest? Perhaps there is a way to better present the material.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: