Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

What I miss on the Download page

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cYbercOsmOnauT
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: What I miss on the Download page Reply with quote

I would love to see not only the complete packages but changed-files packages that only include the files which have changes between the newest version and the one before. For people like me who have shell access to their servers a patch-File would also be great.

Those things are not hard to create I create the patch file manually because I have own files inside the plugins directory and cannot simply clean up and overwrite the Smarty directory.

Am I the only one who misses such things? Smile

Regards,
Tekin
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use composer.
cYbercOsmOnauT
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall I consider this a detailed and helpful answer for everyone who has the same problem?
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should consider it as recommendation to stop being cheap.
Between .19 and .21 release ALL files have been changed.
While I do not agree on the change (in any other project it would be rejected outright as unnecessary whitespace change), due to it your request doesn't stand a chance to be fulfilled.
cYbercOsmOnauT
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your reply was just about the changes between .19 and .21. As you can see my request was meant generally. I cannot understand what part of it is viewed as "cheap" by you.

For myself I created a shellscript which downloads the newest version, backs up my old one and modifies the new to my needs. Is that cheap in your eyes? I just know that not everyone has such possibilities and for those people it would be a great relief when they could get packages with only the changed files.

Btw... just for your example... between .19 and .21 only 18 files changed
Code:
#diff -Nqr Smarty-3.1.19 Smarty-3.1.21 | wc -l

May I call your replies cheap now? No, I won't. Maybe you just had a bad day.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not need to MODIFY anything in the LIBRARY.
If you have improvements to the base code, submit them already.
If you have diferent implementations of certain system plugins, just include your personal plugins directory before system one. But I fail to imagine a case, where your homebrewed implementation could be better than stock one.
If you did not read the library documentation, on the other hand, I suggest you do that right now, before this thread is derailed even further. Because I'm sure you are doing it wrong, and I have many ways to tell you about it.
For all my time using Smarty (since 2.6.3), I've done many things to it, but never I had to change anything IN it, except upgrading to new versions.

P.S.
Use Composer.
cYbercOsmOnauT
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be surprised but I already submitted my improvement once here on the forum. I don't care if it gets used or just rots in here. All I want is to share what I created.

10 years of Smarty... oh.. I guess I have to say "wow" now. Or why did you write this part of your post? I could counter this easily but I am not here to stick my nose high in the sky. I just write down what I think would maybe be a good idea.

If you don't like my ideas that's okay and your own opinion. But your opinion is not the only one that counts. Right?

Before this becomes too childish. This is my last post on this thread. I won't post another one or even read your replies. Have nice night (02:30am here)...

Tekin
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: