Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Using a modern build stack with Smarty

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpii
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Using a modern build stack with Smarty Reply with quote

I love Smarty, and have used it for years. I intend to carry on using it too, because I love its performance and relatively simple architecture

But all my smarty templates are handcoded HTML
They are starting to become long in the tooth, and a little difficult to maintain (especially in the mobile era)

I would love to incorporate more modern tools into my build chain, CSS preprocessors like SASS and perhaps some HAML-based HTML preprocessors which could run and output Smarty templates.

I wonder if anyone is already using a similar workflow with Smarty?
elpmis
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a modern build stack with Smarty Reply with quote

carpii wrote:

But all my smarty templates are handcoded HTML
They are starting to become long in the tooth, and a little difficult to maintain (especially in the mobile era)

I would love to incorporate more modern tools into my build chain, CSS preprocessors like SASS and perhaps some HAML-based HTML preprocessors which could run and output Smarty templates.

Answer is simple ... use a Smarty related CMS Wink - for instance [url=http://www.cmsmadesimple.org ]CMS Made Simple[/url]. Has a css preprocessor module too.
carpii
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Using a modern build stack with Smarty Reply with quote

Humm, thats not really a solution Wink

Maybe if it were a simple blog site, I could swap it for a CMS, but its a large social site with many features and a mature codebase
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mature or aged? Very Happy
If the code base is okay, it should be relatively simple to convert it to use templating engine.
carpii
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:
Mature or aged? Very Happy

Truthfully? A bit of both I guess Very Happy
the PHP code is actively maintained, but some of my smarty templates are quite legacy (HTML 4.01, some use nested tables for layout etc)

Quote:

If the code base is okay, it should be relatively simple to convert it to use templating engine.

This site already uses Smarty
What I'd like is some modern tools I can integrate, so instead of a directory of smart templates, I've a directory of HAML, SASS, coffeescript or whatever
And then I run these preprocessor tools over those scripts, to output my actual Smarty templates

Most these tools will just choke on the smarty $variables and {tags}, because they know nothing about Smarty, and so this is the issue I have.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your "modern" stack chokes on string literals, you probably need a better stack.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: