Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Why "Smarty" team do not update website design?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crownclown67
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:
Yes, I see it.
You're judging application performance by their website design.

Well no. I'm saying that website design has impact on popularity and popularity has impact on community support and support has impact on bugfixes and improvements and that has impact on my development.

Or have you mean UX (user experience ) by saying "performance". Then "Yes".

Something to think of:
https://trends.google.pl/trends/explore?date=all&q=smarty%20php,twig%20php,blade%20php
strafford
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the website is for developers - and a developer should be able to see through all the shiny bobbles and judge the project for how it works. Also, the developers/maintainers of the project are probably busy working on the project - that is a good thing.

Maybe instead of dissing the website, you (a) come up with a design that you like better and then (b) offer to give it to the project and let them decide whether or not to use it.
CrazyTemplate
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the OP. The smarty.net website is horrible.

If you see it without an ad blocker like uBlock Origin, then the smarty website looks like a fake/hacked site with all sorts of horrible adverts.

In addition, there are a lot of deprecated and old things on the site, which make the casual viewer think that Smarty is no longer maintained. The mailing list is old and without real posts, this forum gets tons of spam, most threads are many years old. The only thing that looks alive, is the github page.

Don't get me wrong, I love Smarty and I have been using it for 7+ years, but I truly believe that a new website would help Smarty showcase a more professional look and feel, which makes new developers more likely to trust it.

If the admins are interested, I could donate a new Smarty themed website template, written in Smarty and Bootstrap.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTemplate wrote:
I have to agree with the OP. The smarty.net website is horrible.

If you see it without an ad blocker like uBlock Origin, then the smarty website looks like a fake/hacked site with all sorts of horrible adverts.

You can help it, you know? Donate enough for the project to support itself. The button is on the right.

Quote:
In addition, there are a lot of deprecated and old things on the site, which make the casual viewer think that Smarty is no longer maintained.

Report them?

Quote:
The mailing list is old and without real posts

Many "modern developers" don't even know what "mailing list" means, much less - being able to use it. Sad but that's life.
Quote:
this forum gets tons of spam,

Much less than a few months ago. I hardly delete one message a week now, while back in the days it was several a day.
Neither of which is an indication of the state of the project.

Quote:
most threads are many years old.

Do you suggest we delete old threads or what?
Quote:
The only thing that looks alive, is the github page.

I find it normal. Github is the public mirror of project's repository.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong,

Don't get me wrong, but I'd like a more specific highlights, than "it's very old".
If the only indication of the website quality is usage of bootstrap… "ridicuous" is the least I can say about such statement.
CrazyTemplate
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your childish reply, I now understand why smarty.net looks so horrible.

I wish you all the best, in your future endeavours.
crownclown67
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:

Don't get me wrong, but I'd like a more specific highlights, than "it's very old".
If the only indication of the website quality is usage of bootstrap… "ridicuous" is the least I can say about such statement.

"it's very old" - . AnrDaemon You don't see any problem here. right?
macblack77
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use smarty on a daily basis and love it, its easy to use, powerful, plays nicely with my IDE and is well established.

However, trying to convince anyone to use or switch to Smarty is impossible when they take a look at this website or forum. Like it or not the design is very outdated so it gives the impression that its not actively updated or maintained.

Yes people can check out the latest update but you've already lost them.

The look of the site has also been commented on by some reviews for template engines in the last few years.

This site also has another problem and that is AnrDaemon. This user appears to be super knowledgeable for Smarty issues. You will find them answering a considerable amount of posts, but they demonstrate such disdain and arrogance in their replies I personally try to avoid posting on here at all.

I don't wish to be personal, but I could quite easily see this forum and Smarty die for something that is easily fixed.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macblack77 wrote:
This site also has another problem and that is AnrDaemon. This user appears to be super knowledgeable for Smarty issues. You will find them answering a considerable amount of posts, but they demonstrate such disdain and arrogance in their replies I personally try to avoid posting on here at all.

If you don't like my answers, you could always answer yourself. Forum is a community effort to help each other on a given topic. I emphasize "given topic", as I don't have time, nor inclination to teach basic PHP concepts clearly explained in the language documentation on a forum dedicated to solve issues of a templating engine built on top of it.
Nor do I like the attitude of "just give me code for my special case because it's easy for you". May be it's easy, may be not, it's not your call to make. You are not my customer, not my relative, I'm not obliged to help you in first place.
On the other hand, if YOU have time to spend on these topics, I won't be the one to deny your efforts.
Disdain? No. Arrogance? Up to your perception.
I want to help, but on a single condition: I want to see the results of my help. I don't mind if you forget to say "thank you", but you should demonstrate the understanding of the answer and ability to apply the solution to the similar problem in the future.

Quote:
I don't wish to be personal, but I could quite easily see this forum and Smarty die for something that is easily fixed.

See above about "easy". If you can help, contact the project owners and offer your skills.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: