Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Help with identifying PHP Version

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnm
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Help with identifying PHP Version Reply with quote

Hi, I'm sifting through some old code from a website I had built a very long time ago. The VPS provider decided to upgrade all of their web servers so PHP was updated to 7.0 by default, and I'm trying to identify the version of PHP in use at the time. Smarty V2.6.11, the project was started in 1998 and was improved through 2005ish. I had the provider set my PHP version to 5.4 but it's throwing
Code:
PHP Strict Standards:  Only variables should be passed by reference in /public_html/includes/Smarty/Smarty_Compiler.class.php on line 804

My question is, utilizing V2.6.11, what is the latest and most stable version of PHP that would work well (avoiding deprecations and removals)?

I would also like to add that I am rebuilding this entire platform on newer technologies and I am well aware that older PHP versions are not as stable and Smarty 3 is a lot faster. The purpose of recovering the utility of the project is to gauge the features that we will need to implement into the new platform.

I also found this little bit below the license block in Smarty_Compiler.class.php, may help.

Code:
/* $Id: Smarty_Compiler.class.php,v 1.373 2005/11/29 12:22:54 messju Exp $ */
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://github.com/smarty-php/smarty/releases/tag/v2.6.31
Upgrade your Smarty version first.
Then migrate to v.3.
mnm
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:
https://github.com/smarty-php/smarty/releases/tag/v2.6.31
Upgrade your Smarty version first.
Then migrate to v.3.

I am not looking to upgrade Smarty or further develop the old project. I just need it to fetch diamonds from my database and that won't work unless I'm on the right PHP version. I just need to find the right PHP version and I'm all set.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again: upgrading your Smarty version to the latest 2.6.x release will be the fastest way forward. Literally a drop in solution.

And with good chances you can upgrade to v3 afterward, if you were not using any questionable features.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: