Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Keeping Admin Options in Template Secure

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irbrian
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Keeping Admin Options in Template Secure Reply with quote

This question isn't so much technical as a request for advice. I've got several templates that have options in them that are different for, or only available to, administrator users. Currently I'm just doing something like:

{if $access.permission == "admin"}
<!-- admin html links and stuff -->
{/if}

but this is obviously not very safe, since the template designer could easily make the admin stuff available to everyone. Now, the only things that ever get put inside that kind of condition are links and buttons, and occasional input fields; the actual actions they link to check for access permission internally (within the PHP code and database), so nothing is ever going to be ruined as a result of someone monkeying with the templates. But I'd like to come up with a more secure way of showing the admin options within the template, without keeping the html in the PHP code, which would defeat the purpose of the template system.

Any thoughts?
Duncan
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your designer has access to the template files, then addressing the admin functions via the templates surely won't be any good, so that one solution would be to hard-code it into the code.

However, I would never do it like this, since anything layout related belongs into the templates.
So, the easiest way in such a case: don't allow the designer direct access to the template files Wink
irbrian
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, I'd certainly considered that option as well Wink unfortunately, I don't have that level of control. I'm developing the application for a client that will most likely run the application from some unknown host and handle administration themselves. They are just as likely to ask someone else to revise the templates, if necessary, as to ask us to do it.

I'm worried that this will end up being one of those problems with a significant number of so-so or downright crappy solutions and no really great (discovered) solution... but it seems like this would be a problem someone would have come across before, so I've still got a bit of hope left. Any input would be appreciated.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle, you can have another set of templates (perhaps even in a different template directory)that conatined all of the admin related snippets to which your end-users would not be able to touch. You can then include them using a custom resource which would first verify the user condition and hence allow you to determine if you should return the template or not.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you've got it right. There is no stopping a template designer from creating links to administration pages. As long as you check for access in the PHP code when the page is requested then you are fine. I have stuff in the templates like this all the time:

Code:
{if $show_admin_button}
   <input type="submit" name="Admin">
{/if}

There is nothing stopping the template designer from removing the IF logic, is there? So make sure you test that they indeed have access after the button is pressed. What gets displayed in the template should only be a formality, you can't trust anything coming from the browser (which may originate from a template.)
irbrian
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree that in-template authorization is a formality. There is no way, in my application, that even a template designer could gain the abilities of an administrator, since every action performed requires proof of proper authorization before the action is carried out.

But I'm still hoping to achieve a scenario wherein display authorization logic is handled within PHP, so that it's more difficult, and less tempting, for template authors to gain visual administrative privileges (buttons and links).

Based on inspiration from Boots, here's what I'm considering right now, though I'm not sure yet whether it will be as useful as it is complicated:

Once the user has been authorized as an admin, I'll instantiate a new Smarty object. I'll use a different directory, called for instance protected_tpl, to store mini-templates with administrative controls. A trusted template designer would have access to this directory to modify these templates. In PHP, I'll use output buffering to capture the output of any admin templates that are required for the current page, and store them in variables, which will then be used in the general templates, i.e:
Code:
<html>
<!-- page headers -->

<!-- general menu stuff -->
 {$GRANT.Control_1} {$GRANT.Control_4}
<!-- more general menu stuff -->

<!-- general content -->

</html>

Any feedback?
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is stopping a template designer from re-assigning $GRANT? This looks more like "security by obscurity" to me. I guess it depends on what is more important to you: obscuring admin buttons, or clean understandable templates.
irbrian
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the template designer re-assigns $GRANT, they are breaking the admin's ability to view administrative options... that is clearly not a good thing, but they'd have that ability anyway (by simply deleting the source that displays the admin controls); and at least this way they don't have the immediate ability to add admin controls into the page.

Furthermore, I don't feel that having a bunch of {if admin}display this{/if} conditions is any cleaner than just inserting an appropriate variable containing previously-rendered output. Consider:
Code:
{if $permission='admin'}
<a href="admin_panel.php">Admin Control Panel</a>
{/if}
vs.
Code:
{$GRANT.admin_panel_link}

I'm not trying to make the template system fool-proof. One should probably have a reasonable expectation that their chosen template authors aren't setting out to do anything malicious.

The fact of the matter is, with Smarty (and every other existing template system I know of), there is no such thing as template-level security, so "security by obscurity" is the next best thing, I think.
irbrian
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but you know, on the other hand its probably not even worth the time. I think I'm just going to keep using the {if $permission='admin'} method for now. It doesn't seem very secure, in terms of displaying admin controls, but there don't seem to be any options that are secure.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irbrian wrote:
I'm not trying to make the template system fool-proof. One should probably have a reasonable expectation that their chosen template authors aren't setting out to do anything malicious.

If you're just looking to make things tidy in regards to admin tools, you can do a few things. One would be custom functions:

{admin_panel_link}

Another good method (and quite extendable) would be a custom template resource which includes a template from a non-accessible admin template directory:

{include file="admin:panel.tpl"}
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
Another good method (and quite extendable) would be a custom template resource which includes a template from a non-accessible admin template directory:

{include file="admin:panel.tpl"}

IMO, this is the best one Smile Unfortunately, Smarty resources seem to be an underutilized feature by most developers. It's a shame because they give the developer incredible amounts of flexibility.
irbrian
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too familiar yet with Smarty resources... perhaps I'll research it and consider this idea for a future version of the product. Thanks for the suggestion.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: