Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Really Really New At THis

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigger
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Really Really New At THis Reply with quote

Ok guys, I am really new at this and I am having problems I have no idea how to resolve. I have a webiste that was built for me and it uses Smarty. I'm doing good to just learn html, now Smarty?? Shocked

I was trying to add a links bar on my footer.tpl and I am getting Smarty errors. I made the links bar in Front Page. I don't have a clue how to resolve this. Does anyone else??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sweatje
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to need to post some examples of your templates and the errors you are getting in order to receive some help. You problem is too vauge now.
tigger
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sweatje, I will do that. I will post the error message in the morning, so if your reading this and you think you may be able to help please check back here in the morning! I appreciate it.... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, please make sure that you have at least scanned the manual and review your knowledge of PHP.

Smarty is a wonderful tool, but like any tool, you have to know how to use it and that means not only rolling up your sleeves to practice, but also sitting quietly and reading the relevant material.

You'll find the community here eager to help -- and especially eager to help those who are willing to help themselves Wink Perhaps whomever wrote the site for you can also be of assistance.
tigger
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well geez boots, thanks for your help. I'm very new at this so I doubt that I would even understand the manual. But I was hoping someone might know something off the top of their head. And I thought I was helping myself by at least asking the question in a place that I might get some help. Guess I was wrong, I will help myself again and move onto another area where I might get some help. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, boots?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry tigger, I really didn't mean to upset you.

Do you have an issue with people suggesting you first read the relevant material before asking questions? I ask all users to do the same, so don't feel singled out. Please read this for more details. It is not unreasonable to expect that you should be able to follow the manual, or as I suggested, at least scan it.

Please don't let me discourage you--perhaps someone else will be able to help you.

Take it easy.
sweatje
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigger, what boots pointing out is actually common etiquette on the net. Take a look at the page http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html, called How To Ask Questions The Smart Way (but not related to Smarty, just how to ask technical questions in general).

The basic idea is: you are asking a bunch of volunteers to spend some of their time answering your question, therefore try to make your question as precise as possible to allow it to be answered.
tigger
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speechless. I have reviewed the material and since I am not familiar with PHP it is all greek to me. Very sorry to have bothered any one. It won't happen again.
Wom.bat
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... I guess you should buy a book and learn PHP first, then Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: