Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Using Pwee for automated setups

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Installation and Setup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Using Pwee for automated setups Reply with quote

Can anyone who has used the PHP extension Pwee please chime in? They have a simplistic example for Smarty, but I am interested in a more robust and automated solution.
CirTap
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... interesting, but for this beeing a binary extension, it'll be hard to use it in a multihost environment: no ISP will install this for your unless it will be in the core PHP distribution package. On the other hand, if or you ARE an ISP and have things like Pear, Smarty, phpmyAdmin preinstalled as a "script base" ready to use for your clients, this could be some nice tool.

I personally see no need for this, and I can't commit to the "disadvatages" they describe when using some "config.inc". I live happily with one since PHP 3 and it became a very stable "config system". It provied me with all the flexibility I need and of course works seamlessly with multiple environments (dev on laptop/home/office, life server/test server), "my" central scriptbase, cascading settings and more.
There are other and better "switches" to use than IP addresses or hostnames to determine the environment.

Have fun,
CirTap
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CirTap.

What appears to be interesting is the persistance. Presently, I do a similar thing to Pwee but using userland PHP code. The end result is a lot of abstracted classes and indirect file loading. If Pwee can do this ONCE and then simply make constants available to my code, then I'm sold--I would expect a nice speedup compared to my current code base.

As for getting it installed in a hosting environment, you bring up a good point. It doen't currently concern me (presently, I mainly build for intranets) but there are possible solutions such as using dl() to dynamically load the module.

Another nice thing is that it treats configuration as being essentially a data problem, which I think is the proper approach. I don't like the idea of changing my code-base simply because I've changed my layouts.

I'm going to give this library a try and report back; again, if anyone is already using Pwee, please educate us!
CirTap
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rehi boots,
Quote:
there are possible solutions such as using dl() to dynamically load the module

well, if Pwee gives you -0.5 seconds of execution and loading a module takes +1.0 sec. ... Wink
A lot of my clients are hosted by some ISP, and they usually disallow dl() or the module you want is not available. Unless the clients own/rented a dedicated server (~ 100/140 EUR monthly fee), many of the good things can't be used Sad And it's hard to make your client pay more, for something they can't actually "see".
In any case, if you have some news, lets us know. At least for my own box, this might be interesting - but I let you test it first Wink

Have fun,
CirTap
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Installation and Setup All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: