Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

$smarty.files / $_FILES ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerard
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: $smarty.files / $_FILES ? Reply with quote

Why isn't $_FILES included in $smarty (i.e. $smarty.files)?
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I favour removing the entire request variables interface altogether. In my view, data ought be explicitly assigned.

Historically, $_FILES came later to PHP and after many objections to Smarty's request variables. I suspect no one added to Smarty's interface just so as to not continue down that particular path (so-to-speak). Anyways, that's what I think may have happened; I do agree it is a little odd that it is missing, all-things considered. Never-the-less, I for one still don't favour it being added at this point.
gerard
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that line of thought, but I think it should be all or none for consistency's sake (personally, I'm in favor of all - just for convenience).
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would venture to say that $_FILES isn't in the same category as $_GET or $_POST when we are talking about the presentation layer of an application. You can directly access $_GET and $_POST from the template for convenience sake (although ideally you shouldn't, as boots said), but $_FILES most certainly isn't info the templates should be accessing directly. Let the application access/assign that stuff. I don't think consistancy is relevant, it would just lend itself to programming styles designed for job security Wink

If you really want it, put it in your constructor:

[php:1:385e9ed014]$smarty->assign($_FILES,'files');[/php:1:385e9ed014]
gerard
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
$_FILES most certainly isn't info the templates should be accessing directly

Why not? I was coding some file upload pages and put this on the second page:

File {$files.upload.name}
Size {$files.upload.size}
Type {$files.upload.type}

Pretty useful info ($files.error too) - don't see anything wrong with templates having access to that info ($files.tmp_name probably isn't useful to templates though). $_FILES is really just part of $_POST.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For instance, what if there was an error uploading the file(s), such as file size too big for the server to allow. Are you going to start doing error checking routines in your templates?
gerard
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure:

Code:
{if $smarty.files.upload.error}
{$smarty.files.upload.error}
{else}
File {$files.upload.name}
Size {$files.upload.size}
Type {$files.upload.type}
{/if}
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, that is application logic. The application should be aware of the submission error and decide how it is handled and what is assigned/displayed.
gerard
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there's stuff behind the scenes in the app, but templates are definitely involved in deciding what's displayed. e.g.

Code:
{obj->getUser assign='user' id=$smarty.cookies.userID}
{if $user}
Hello {$user.name}!
{else}
Login ...
{/if}

I also write templates like:
Code:
{if $smarty.post.addStuff}
{obj->addStuff stuff=$smarty.post.stuff assign='result'}
{if $result}
Stuff saved
{else}
Error saving stuff
{/if}
{else}
Enter stuff:
<form method="post" ...>
</form>
{/if}

I've tried various other ways. I like this way because it's the most simple. It's deciding what's displayed and sending/retrieving stuff from the app which does non-display stuff.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but templates are definitely involved in deciding what's displayed

Templates are involved with display, but the deciding factor should come from the application, not directly from $_POST or $_FILES in the templates.

So example:

Code:
{if $is_error}
   ... display error ...
{else}
   ... blah ...
{/if}

The $is_error variable is something assigned from the application. This way the application decides the value of $is_error, (which could be determined from $_FILES or other targetted information.) Ideally, the template should only be using information assigned from the application, so the application is always in control of what is happening on the presentation layer.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerard wrote:
$_FILES is really just part of $_POST.

As I said earlier, there is a (strong) sentiment that the view should not have access to data that has not been processed by the application (ie: raw data). In other words: do you really want to trust your templates (and template designers) to scrub your data and inputs? I realize that for a small project where one person is wearing all the hats, it may seem like a convenience to have direct access but I posit that it is a rather questionable practice that degrades the view layer abstraction.
gerard
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boots wrote:
gerard wrote:
$_FILES is really just part of $_POST.

As I said earlier, there is a (strong) sentiment that the view should not have access to data that has not been processed by the application (ie: raw data). In other words: do you really want to trust your templates (and template designers) to scrub your data and inputs?

No...but nevertheless, $smart.post, .get, .request, .cookies, etc. are there - for consistency's sake I think .files should be too and for those of us who want access to them. If you don't trust your template authors - just set $smarty->request_use_auto_globals=false.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: