Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty include_php issue

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atomgiant
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Smarty include_php issue Reply with quote

I am having a problem that I believe is as a result of the way Smarty's include_php works.

I am using PEAR's HTML_QuickForm class to generate forms. Here is an outline of the structure:

myscript.php -> Smarty.display( myform.tpl ) -> php_include( myform.php )

Once the form is submitted via POST back to myscript.php, myform.php will process the data into a variable called $form. But I believe some data is being lost with the call to myform.tpl as the $form variable is not being created.

If I remove the call to myform.tpl and just include myform.php everything works fine.

I suspect that some variables that are available from a POST of a form are being lost in the middle step. I have tried printing out the _POST and _GET and GLOBALS from within myform.php... but everything seems to be there.

Can anyone think of some other alternatives... perhaps I am missing something obvious? Could scoping of variables change perhaps since $this is set to the $smarty object and perhaps the HTML_QuickForm object also refers to $this?

Thanks,
---Tom
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the reason for your problem is, that stuff executed inside include_php is not in global context, but inside
a smarty-function.

that means: you have to declare every global variable you want to use as "global".

$GLOBALS, $_POST, $_GET_, $_REQUEST and $_SERVER are always global, so your variable may be reached via $GLOBALS['form']
but not via $form.

you would have to say "global $form;" in your included php
to make it accessible as "$form".

HTH
messju
atomgiant
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to declare it as 'global $form', but that does not work either. Could it be possible that since the include_php is executed inside a function that the scoping is not as expected? For example, if the following is the equivalent of how smarty implements an included php file:

Code:

// smarty include function:
function include_php(...) {
   include( 'some.inc.php' );
}

// some.inc.php:

$form = 'blah';

function doSomething() {
   global $form;

}

Therefore, since the $form is created in the included some.inc.php, but it is actually created within the smarty include_php function, by saying 'global $form' in doSomething(), it won't work since the original scope of the $form var is local to smarty's include_php.

To make the above work, would I have to declare $form global from the start? As in:

global $form = 'blah'; OR $GLOBALS['form'] = 'blah';

Could you verify this logic?

Thanks,
---Tom
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yepp. your elaboration is correct.
atomgiant
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: