Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Allow insert functions to trigger modifiers on output
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom functions with attributes are already handled by the compiler.
{somefunction|modifier|modifier|modifier arg1="word" arg2=2785}

Also the way how the content of an {insert} is injected into cached HTML output makes the implementation of modifiers very difficult....
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sma I have spend some more time of investigation and experiements how modifiers could be aplied to the {insert} and I gave up. The implemantation of how the {insert} tag is compiled in the template and how the content is injected in cached HTML output does not allow it. It would require a completely different solution of handling inserts.

The only work around which will work is using a registered function or plugin and call it in the template like this
Code:
{nocache}{somefunction|modifier|modifier|modifier arg1="word" arg2=2785}{/nocache}
sma
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about just a php function inside of $smarty that lets you apply modifiers to a string? For example:

$smarty->applyModifiers('words','capitalize|escape:"htmlall"');

Of course, this means the function would have to register somewhere which modifiers it wants to use, or preload pages and have applyModifiers only search function_exists.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the {nocache} approach the modifier handling is compiled just once. If you call a cached page the compiled code of the nocache section is just executed.

Your applyModifier methode has to do parsing and other stuff each time a page is being call.

I think you will gain nothing.
sma
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. Does seem my idea is less efficient than I'd originally thought. So, I guess this idea can be canned.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: