Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Including PHP stored in MySQL DB

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATKOgirl
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Including PHP stored in MySQL DB Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

We have a database of over 37,000 products. For each of those products, we have a php script stored in the database to "fetch" the product description from a supplier's web site.

Is their any way we can use include_php to access the script from the database for each product? I know {include_php file=x.php} can be used to access a php file, but we need to access from the database.

For instance, something like:

{include_php=products.fieldname}

Any assistance or advice anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
ATKOgirl
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm and double hmmm. This really isn't a job for smarty, imho.

Anyways, here's an idea though I suppose you don't want a runtime solution--still, you might be able to abuse the resource api to do something along these lines. ...and I do mean abuse!

{include file="phpdb:blah"}

Your phpdb resource would have to implement its source function so that instead of simply returning whatever blah points to in your database, it instead executes it. You now have the problem that if you return the results of that processing to Smarty, it will try to compile those results as if it was smarty code. You can either echo the results and return nothing or perhaps choose some funky delimiters.

You probably want to get this at compile time in which case I'd sugest investigating writing your own custom include plugin. Again, try to first find a way of doing this outside of Smarty if at all possible.
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use resources with include_php. read: http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/templates.from.elsewhere.php

most of the things that are said about smarty-sources there apply also for php-sources when used with include_php (is_secure is for ".tpl", is_trusted is for ".php")

so you can read php-sources like template-sources from an abstract resource like your database.
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrr. my bad. serves me right for never using include_php. Thanks for clearing that up, messju!! Smile
ATKOgirl
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi messju and boots,

Thank you both for your replies. I'll have a read and give it a try. I'm sure I'll be back for help...

Thanks again, I really appreciate your assistance!

ATKOgirl
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: