Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

IP address to Country conversion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: IP address to Country conversion Reply with quote

Links like http://ip-to-country.webhosting.info/node/view/6 train on how to import ip to country database into mysql. Their discussion forum is more than

this.

Here is my prototype for displaying a visitor's country name.

* Install the database of IPs and countries.
* Use a plugin to convert $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] into SQL drawn country name.
* Show/use the country name, as required.

We need a modifier plugin for this, that looks like:

# modifier.ip2c.php

Code:
<?php

function smarty_modifier_ip2c($ip='0.0.0.0')
{
   if(!$ip)
      $ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

# Make a database connection or use an existing global database object.
   # Write some SQLs and PHP code to convert this IP into database.
   # You can learn more details in http://ip-to-country.webhosting.info/node/view/6

$country = # Read and set the country name.

if(!$country)
      $country='Unknown';

return($country);
}

?>

Then in your template files, the access or IP to country conversion will be like:

{$smarty.server.REMOTE_ADDR|ip2c}
or,
{'206.131.206.81'|ip2c}
or,
{$ip_variable|ip2c}

You can use this modifier to:

* Choose a default country in a drop down box of country.
* Displaying you are from ... county, and its flag.
* Displaying In ... country ..., our services are in the cities ...
* Many more...

Please feedback me.

Here, I am lazy to publish the original source code, because I once did it in a project, but now, do not have the access to these files. For well functioning codes, I too need to rewrite them back myself again.
elpmis
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful tag - thx!
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Update your database every month Reply with quote

Their database (CSV export) is modified every month. Be sure to update your IP-to-Country database every month. And, please design your table NOT TO use InnoDB storage engine in mysql, to prevent problems while updating the countries for their IPs.

It is a genuine truth that IP to Country database changes so frequently, and the free version is available every month only.
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Update your database every month Reply with quote

bimal wrote:
Their database (CSV export) is modified every month. Be sure to update your IP-to-Country database every month. And, please design your table NOT TO use InnoDB storage engine in mysql, to prevent problems while updating the countries for their IPs.

It is a genuine truth that IP to Country database changes so frequently, and the free version is available every month only.

Why would InnoDB cause a problem with updates?
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Foreign key problems Reply with quote

I think, I gave incomplete information. (Oh, I feel a sorry). The InnoDB table is basically used to hold foreign keys, and if your database that you might update monthly (the country ID and IPs) is if having foreign keys, it might restrict updating new IDs.

So, it is better to keep the IP-to-Country table away from your foreign keys. Otherwise, converting ip to country would result in old country names, that may not be true.

In my normal practice, I truncate this table first, and put the new entries from the csv file.
mitchenall
Smarty Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: IP address to Country conversion Reply with quote

bimal wrote:

Please feedback me.

I can't conceive of any good reason to import this data into a database for lookup. MUCH better to just use the Apache mod or php extension. Even the native PHP code. It is truly pointless storing the entire thing in your database.
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: ip2c - now works Reply with quote

I have placed a new working version of a light weight plugin. It works by crawling on provider's websites.
http://www.phpinsider.com/smarty-forum/viewtopic.php?p=55581#55581

This plugin may stop working, if the providers modify the output in their HTML pages. The main theme of this plugin is:

* Less frequent use
* Real time conversion
* Not storing own database
anurdh65
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think the code is incomplete, but usually i used the website ip-details.com to get the ip address, location. Could any body help me to get the details through PHP coding.
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Not out of service Reply with quote

As we have to depend upon the third party services for these details, it is always likely that these kinds of scripts might out of service, so soon.

But, here ( http://www.phpinsider.com/smarty-forum/viewtopic.php?p=55759 ) you can find another kind of service.
You can even modify it yourself to extract more details.
Or, even add a different provider like, ip-details.

Thanks.
bimal
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: How to import the data if you want to store it yourself? Reply with quote

I have established a different thread at Self - Help, to inform, how to maintain your own copy of the database. You can see this as well.

Just click on the link above to visit more details, or at:
http://www.help-self.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38

The csv file is of 4.65 MB with 96909 records, as of now.

This can help to detect frauds like, a user is signing up with a different country name, than s/he is currently in, or accessing credit card information abroad one's location. Or, to disseminate the geography specific information on your website.

Enjoy.
newjav
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bimal nice plugin
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Plugins All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: