Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Making a smarty variable (assign) available throughout site.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miken
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Making a smarty variable (assign) available throughout site. Reply with quote

Only started Smarty today! Can someone please tell me how to make a smarty variable available to all pages in my site. I get the site name from a table in the start page, then I want that value available on all subsequent pages. I found some syntax re smarty->assign with the global keyword but could not get it to work. Thank you.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make the normal $smarty->assign('foo','bar');

The template variable $foo is available to all calls of $smarty->fetch(), $smarty->display() and subtemplates called by the {include....} tag.
miken
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: SMARTY VARIABLES Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you for the quick response, and I think I understand the answer, but the situation I have is this. I get a value on page1.php from MySQL database, assign to smarty and display a smarty template that uses the value, successfully. But then I have links in that template that open other php pages that also display smarty templates, and it is in those templates that I want to use the original variable.
mindex.php, gets value, displays mindex.tpl, has a link to resort.php which displays resort.tbl, resort.tbl needs access to the original variable.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Smarty these are completely independent requests.
If it's just a short value you could pass the value as $_GET parameter in the link.
miken
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: SMARTY VARIABLES Reply with quote

Ok, that's clear. I really just wanted to make sure that I was not missing something, like a 'global variable cache' or so on. I think I will use a header template in each page template, having thought about it more sub-templates would seem the obvious way to support common content. Thank you very much for your help.
n0aX
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not multiple server environment with clusters, you can use sessions and access the variable by $_SESSION as well. This can be better than writing the variable in url for all get requests.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: