Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Very slow save of .tpl in Eclipse/Helios

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoB
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Very slow save of .tpl in Eclipse/Helios Reply with quote

It's been a while since I did any work with Smarty in Eclipse but I don't recall having this problem: saving any .tpl file takes seconds where it used to be virtually instantaneous. Other files (*.php, etc.) are fine.

Eclipse environment: Windows 7 Pro 32-bit; Helios (v3.6, sp2); Java 6-29.

Any clues on how to speed things up?

Thanks.

George
cbj4074
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Eclipse with Smarty .tpl files, too, and saving is near-instantaneous.

Out of curiosity, which editor do you have associated with .tpl files?

If you navigate to Window -> Preferences -> General -> Editors -> File Associations, is ".tpl" listed in the File Types pane? And if so, when you highlight it, which Associated editors appear below?
geoB
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Associated editors, in order: PHP (default), Smarty, Text. Each is locked.

In all my attempts to troubleshoot I have only learned that it's related to the smartypdt plug-in. Uninstall and save is fine. Reinstall and it's again disconcertingly slow.

George
cbj4074
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try installing the plug-in and see if the results are the same for me... stay tuned.
cbj4074
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that my version of Eclipse is too new to support the plug-in (after all, it was last updated almost three years ago).

At this point, it sounds like it's the lesser of two evils: slow saving or no plug-in. Take your pick! Cool
geoB
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbj4074 wrote:
It seems that my version of Eclipse is too new to support the plug-in (after all, it was last updated almost three years ago).

Curious. The last development I'd done with Eclipse & Smarty was just about a year ago and I had no problems then. But I could have easily missed something that I didn't know wasn't there. I've not been able to replicate that environment yet.

g
cbj4074
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to follow-up on this thread.

I finally grew tired of not having Smarty syntax highlighting in Eclipse Helios with PDT, so I spent some more time researching the issue.

Apparently, the cited plugin does indeed function as designed. The reason for which I thought that the plug-in was too old for my version of Eclipse (Helios SR2) is that it did not show-up after going Help -> Install New Software... -> click "Add" -> click "Archive" (select the .zip file downloaded from http://code.google.com/p/smartypdt/ ) -> click "OK".

The part I was missing was to uncheck "Group items by category" (near the bottom of the dialog). Thanks to X-MAN for the how-to:

X-MAN wrote:
Great article about integration Eclipse Helios + PDT + Smarty http://www.ikravets.com/computers-life/programming/2010/09/27/eclipse-helios-pdt-smarty

Or use translated English version http://bit.ly/9ofmD1

Now I have the plug-in installed and Smarty .tpl files load and save pretty much instantaneously (i.e., no slowdown vs. without the plug-in installed).

So... I'm not sure what, exactly, the issue with your setup may be. I followed the above-referenced how-to and everything looks good.

If there's anything that I can check in my configuration for you, just let me know.
geoB
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it to work for you. It's possible my system had acquired so much "moss" that things were slow. Since I was too frustrated with Helios I moved to Netbeans and found it more than satisfactory for my purposes. In many respects it's a bit more straightforward. Of course, I've also recently had to do a clean install of my OS so Helios might work fine now. I'm just not curious enough to find out.

As long as we can get our code out it probably doesn't much matter how we get there. Kinda like fishing - the fish don't care how much you paid for your rod or reel.

g
cbj4074
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here we are a couple of days later, and saving is painfully slow. Crying or Very sad

So, the problem definitely seems to be the plugin, and it probably relates to some kind of cache or temporary information that is accumulating over time (which would explain why it was fast initially).

Any Eclipse experts in the house?
geoB
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're locked in to Eclipse, Netbeans is worth a look. Smarty implementation is already built in to the PHP IDE.

g
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: