Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

local & global variables?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphanimal
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: local & global variables? Reply with quote

Hi!
If I include a template with another tamplate with {include file=...}
and i assign a variable in the included template, is it available in temps included after this one?

i tried the following:

main.tpl:

Code:
<html>
Testing...<br>
Include 1: {include file="setvar.tpl"}<br>
Include 2: {include file="setvar.tpl"} {* including one more time *}
</html>

setvar.tpl:

Code:
<b>The Value is: {$variable}</b>
{assign var="variable" value="ChAnGeD :)"}

I expected a Output like this:

Include 1:
Include 2: ChAnGeD :)

but that didn't happen...
the variable seems to be only visible for the first inclusion.
How can i assign a var that's visible global?

Or what can I else do? I just want to make this include shown only one time on a Page, when it's included a second time, nothing should be displayed.

I hope you can help me.
thanks!

(excuse writing mistakes, i don't really speak english that good)
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

You are correct about your assumption of scope--included tempaltes keep a private scope which is lost after they complete.

What you probably want to do is pass a control var to your template to let it know if it should output or just assign. EG:

{include file="setvar.tpl" showit=true}

Here, the setvar template gets the $showit var to determine what action to take.

That's probably the simplest way to get the results you want. If you search the forum you will find a patch I did awhile ago that allows you to pass vars back up to the calling template, if desired. I don't recommend it but your tastes may differ Smile
Alphanimal
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: I just want to show it once! Reply with quote

I just want this include to be displayed only once!
This is for an error-output. the default tpl shows all occured errors on the bottom of each page, but if the errors are shown in the page, the messages should not be displayed a second time!
so if i give this var as a parameter, i have to assign the variable every time i include the error-list.
and this variable is deleted when the content-template ends, so the default tpl (with <html>tag etc.) doesn't know that variable too!
so this won't work...
messju
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, you can assign a reference to a variable with something like $smarty->assign_by_ref('var', $dummy=null);
this variable should be "assignable" from inclued templates, then.

or, if you understand the following plugin, you are allowed to use it on your own risk Smile :

[compiler.include_once.php][php:1:4c4db283d0]<?php

function smarty_compiler_include_once($attrs, &$compiler) {
return 'if (isset($this->_included[__FILE__])) return true; else $this->_included[__FILE__] = true; ';
}

?>[/php:1:4c4db283d0]
Alphanimal
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: assign_by_ref worked, but... Reply with quote

It worked with assign_by_ref! thanks!
but:
I have to do it in the php source code, so i wanted to assign a array of such global variables, so that i do not allways have to assign a new var, when i need one.
I just wanted to assign(_by_ref) a array of global variables, which i can read and edit from every template.

But: The Smarty {assign} command seems not to support arrays?!
Is it possible to set a value in an array.
for example like: {assign var="glob['errors_included']" value="1"}
(that doesn't work)

so is it possible to {assign} an element of an array? when yes how? when no what can i else do??

thanx!
boots
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarty doesn't allow assigning arrays, but (again thanks to messju!) perhaps this will help.

I think that perhaps messju's include_once is a better idea, though in that case both the output and the execution of the included file is supressed after the first call.

cheers!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: