Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Upgrading from Smarty 2 to latest. Removing $this->

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_am_FeMan
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Upgrading from Smarty 2 to latest. Removing $this-> Reply with quote

As noted in the subject my organization has upgraded to the latest version of Smarty (currently 3.1.29) as a result of upgrading to PHP7. We have a template that contains a navigation bar for the site, as such it is {include}'d in nearly every other template. This template was previously using code similar to:
Code:
{php}
   $this->_tpl_vars["var1"] = phpFunction1();
   $this->_tpl_vars["var2"] = $_SESSION['var2'];
{/php}

Obviously this is no longer supported. What I am wondering though is how to go about getting the information into these template variables without having to go into every .php file to add:
Code:
$smarty->assign('var1', phpFunction());
$smarty->assign('var2', $_SESSION['var2']);

I would prefer to be able to add them just from the template and pass them in from the {assign} tag but with these variables requiring the PHP output is there a way of doing it? Or do I have to modify all the .tpl files and all the .php files?

The problem is just that since this is a menu bar it makes it very tedious to go in and add all the assignment commands in every file that eventually loads a page that displays this menu.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really should (even MUST) assign variables to the template.
Template shouldn't care about your code structure.
What you really need is a separate block that renders the menu with appropriate caching headers.
And yes, it is a tedious job to cleanup inherently broken application designs, but it pays well in the reduction of the future maintenance costs.
U.Tews
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

{$var1 = phpFunction1()}
{$var2 = $smarty.session.var2}
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Smarty 3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: