Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Smarty template - error logs ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonisnz
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Smarty template - error logs ? Reply with quote

Hi, ive got a two-part question.

1) ERROR LOG :-

/templates/compiled/7091ef2c494c61fd62755ebbf57292c93dc68ca8_0.file.header.tpl.php on line 42

if i have two /header.tpl filles in separate directories, is there a way to have the error logs show the FULL path ? and not just all looking at the compiled path and looking like 1 directory ?

I've copied the 2nd header file & renamed it to global_header.tpl - Will slowly modify my templates to use the new header.

2) is there a way to add code to a template, to force text to be logged in the php error logs ?

EDIT:
3) Is it possible to improve future versions of Smarty ?

Ive got this error:- Trying to get property of non-object in (path name etc )

It will be useful to give the variable name - eg $bob - Then I/we can easily see the name of the variable/array that has a prioblem.

Thanks.
AnrDaemon
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Each compiled template file has a reference to the file it was compiled from.
Literally.
Quote:
Code:
/* Smarty version 3.1.32, created on 2020-07-31 11:46:55
  from '…/inc/templates/FormBuilder/image.smarty' */

2. Yes. See "Extending Smarty" section in the documentation, also you can use error_log() in templates as normal. (Unless SmartySecurity is in effect.)

3. That's a problem in YOUR code - you passed a non-object where object was expected. Use type hinting, help language help you to find your bugs.
gordonisnz
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnrDaemon wrote:
1. Each compiled template file has a reference to the file it was compiled from.
Literally.
Quote:
Code:
/* Smarty version 3.1.32, created on 2020-07-31 11:46:55
  from '…/inc/templates/FormBuilder/image.smarty' */

2. Yes. See "Extending Smarty" section in the documentation, also you can use error_log() in templates as normal. (Unless SmartySecurity is in effect.)

3. That's a problem in YOUR code - you passed a non-object where object was expected. Use type hinting, help language help you to find your bugs.

Thanks for number 1 & 2 - I'll look at them..

However - with number 3 _ it will be useful to tell me what the variable is

EG - Foreach ($blob as $x -> $y)

it will tell me - Non object in property $blob - It tells me that $blob is the variable / array / object / whatever that is in question..

I know how to find the template (compiled & non compiled) - & i can work out which line is the matter. But if i'm working with 2-3 variables in a few lines of code - it will be good to easily identify which is causing the problem.
bsmither
Smarty Elite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It will be useful to tell me what the variable is:
e.g. - Foreach ($blob as $x -> $y)
If i'm working with 2-3 variables in a few lines of code - it will be good to easily identify which is causing the problem."

This is what I do: add whitespace.
If it is Smarty code, this:
Code:
   {foreach
   $FOO
   as
   $bar}

If PHP code:
Code:
   foreach(
   $FOO
   as
   $bar){
   //code
   }

That way, distinct line numbers are associated with each variable.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: