Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Simple Smarty framework with user authentication?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Frameworks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abilstein
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Simple Smarty framework with user authentication? Reply with quote

I've recently been searching for a simple extensible CMS that I would use for small web sites. Something to post news, manage contact information, a FAQ, newsletter, pretty basic stuff. Unfortunately everything I've found is either overkill, a nuke variant, or I don't like the structure, etc.

I'm talking about a real CMS, not a community portal. Something like Typo3 or ezPublish but on a MUCH smaller scale. And it must work in a standard virtual hosting environment, no root access. PHP/MySQL based.

Does anyone know of a small, extensible CMS (preferably Smarty based) so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel? Perhaps with user authentication/management and one or two features that I could extend? If not, anyone want to work on a project like that with me? Smile
reformed1
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a CMS that fits your description becuause I too found that everything is overkill or an entire pre-packaged site. I'm using Smarty, PEAR and a custom authorization class.

I would like to share my code with you but I have only set up an architecture and it will be some time before I have one working. I feel your pain though. You would think some simple CMS solution would be out there, but no such simplicity exists. Crying or Very sad
phd2k3
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !
I'm interested too of such a project.
I've spend a lot of hours learning Typo3, but its to big for what I usualy need. Let's try and see what we can do about that Smile.
... Big problems need simple answers.

Contact me by pm to discuss details.
madcow
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Smile

I've looked at tens of different CMS systems but I don't like any of them.

"Pehppy" seems like a good base framework, I haven't yet had a chance to really look at it yet however.

@reformed1: If you would be so kind to share what you have done it would be appreciated Very Happy
BloodRath
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work on a same project : news,article,photo mangement
i've try SPIP (www.uzine.net) which is great for non php addict but they use a inner template engine.

i think we could exchange each of project when they are in an advanced phase

i've just a question do u think article,news... must be object so people could extend them ?
marclaporte
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Tiki CMS/Groupware Reply with quote

Please consider Tiki CMS/Groupware.

Tiki is a powerful Open Source CMS/Groupware. Features: article, forum, newsletter, blog, file/image gallery, wiki, drawing, tracker, directory, poll/survey & quiz, FAQ, chat, banner, webmail, calendar, category, ACL, etc in Single Sign-on or LDAP.(PHP/MySQL/Smarty)

Tiki makes full use of Smarty and has a large, friendly and growing community. Tiki already has many features and is easy to extend. It may be an overkill for some sites. You can just deactivate features you don't need. You can easily flip them on in the future.

July 2003 Project of the Month on Sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/potm/potm-2003-07.php

Currently in top-10 most active projects on Sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/top/mostactive.php?type=week

Currently in top-10 best rated app on Freshmeat.
http://freshmeat.net/stats/#rating

350 page fully illustrated documentation
http://tikiwiki.sourceforge.net/tiki.pdf

Please reply to this post or contact me if you would like more information.

Best regards,

M Wink
mshaffer
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiki CMS/Groupware Reply with quote

marclaporte wrote:
Please consider Tiki CMS/Groupware.

Tiki is a powerful Open Source CMS/Groupware. Features: article, forum, newsletter, blog, file/image gallery, wiki, drawing, tracker, directory, poll/survey & quiz, FAQ, chat, banner, webmail, calendar, category, ACL, etc in Single Sign-on or LDAP.(PHP/MySQL/Smarty)

Not to mention that a page generated with Tiki uses as many as 150 queries to build. IMHO, Tiki is nothing more than phpNuke.

The idea of creating a CMS should be driven around templates with modules plugined in as such.

I compare the development of smarty (3-4 developers) to the Tiki environment (over 150 developers), and the problem becomes apparent. Smarty creates logic rules that must be followed, and custom plugins, etc. can derive from those rules.

That is what is need in the Framework discussion Exclamation
ikarius
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a class framework myself. It's not quite ready for sharing with other people, but it's primary design goal is to make building data-based websites CORRECTLY almost as simple as throwing together a total hackjob databased website.

Functionality:
users
sessions
priviledges (can the current user do this?)
standardized error reporting
clean, clear separation of business-logic and display-logic

Right now the only external libraries I'm using are Smarty, and the PEAR::DB class (for database neutrality)

Each page of a website using my class library understands how to process it's own submissions.

Creating a page with my library basically consists of subclassing my "Page" class, writing functions which understand how to do the processing, and creating a smarty template for displaying the results. Basically fill in the blanks. Instantiate your child class, call its "process" method which it inherits from the parent class, and you're running.

One of the cooler features of the code is that I've written a page which actually scans a website's code for priveledges needed for each page, and then automates (with some administrator input) filling in the SQL tables for managing the priviledges.

It is not a CMS at the moment, but could probably be easily extended to do basic CMS functions. It does not do, and never will do internationalization- I dont need it, and I dont want the overhead.

I'd estimate about a week before I'm ready to show the code to anyone, and probably 30 days minimum from having the code ready for any sort of a public release. Probable BSD or LGPL license.

If what I described sounds like your cup of tea, and you're interested in looking at the early stuff before any sort of a public release, go ahead and PM me about it.

--Ikarius
atu
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Take a look at http://www.open-publisher.net. It derives from a french cms calling SPIP but build up on Smarty.

Technical background:

PHP > 4.1 with GD module
MYSQL > 3.23.xx
APACHE HTTP Server
SMARTY 2.6.1 (build in)

Basic Features:

-Module based admin structure
-Group based user rights system. Each module provide its own rights system.
-Expansive through new modules
-Public HTML templates are fully adaptable to your design ideas
-Switching between different public template sets
-Menu based set up procedure
-Good performance through output compression and
Smarty Cache System
-Released under the GPL license
maw
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Simple CMS Reply with quote

I too would like to find a simple CMS, my ideal specs are listed below, but first the one change to Smarty I would require is a standard global setting the output type which any plug-in could refer to to change their output. e.g. $smarty->setoutput('text/html') or similar for pdf, swf, css etc.

What a CMS must do/be:
    - extends smarty
    - db independant - too many mysql CMS systems not enough firebird/postgres
    - users and groups built in from the start
    - object oriented database - see other thread frameworks forum
    - each module should be a seperate plug-in to smarty
    - have readable urls
    - utilise css primarily for layout
    - allow you to cache op-code or as static html on a page by page basis

I have started my own which works, but does not yet meet all the above objectives. It uses a csv (ie flat file) database, the urls are of the for domain.com/section/page and to edit a page uses a url of the form domain.com/section/page?edit which keeps things simple.

I would like to help with any project with similar objectives.

Michael
johannes
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I agree, a small cms framwork using common project is needed in this world and a great idea. I would support and write plugins to that!

It is strage that cms developers struggel to develop own stuff insted och focusing on just put common project together, like Smarty, db-layer (adodb/pear), and html editor (spaw/htmlarea). There are a lot of very god thing in doing so, the developer community is larger and the projects are more stable! The users are many. and so on...

I just need.
Smarty tempalting and plugin
Db-layer (adodb)
Html-editor (Spaw/htmlarea)
GD for pictures
Overlib for popups
jaykali
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: and how Reply with quote

Hey, so I'm in the same boat. I just got on board with Smarty yesterday & I'm thrilled that I finally found something that can more or less separate content from presentation. I need a simple CMS that I'll probably end up making myself because everything else is too big & bloated.

It seems like every site I make is the same, I want to us php/mySQL, now smarty-based no PEAR stuff bc my server doesn't support it & this is what I need accomplished:
news/article postings (admin postings only)
image gallery
guestbook

I also want a CMS with GOOD documentation, that's why I like smarty so much. The image gallery is always a pain to make & guestbook form validation is killer. I love BB's like this but for a guestbook I need a mini-version you know?

Oh well, I feel that I can make my own without too much hassle but it'd be nice if someone already made something I could use & I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.

Also, is anyone like me? -- with a technical background &/or technology degree & people always seem to need your help updating/creating their website?

I love helping family/friends out but I'm always doing the same thing over & over.

Peace
Jay
lean4huskytop
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: what about mambo? Reply with quote

Have you heard of Mambo?
www.mamboportal.com

it was awarded a linux award for 2004 I think

chck it out
Paul
w3Co.com
Smarty n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Drupal?

I too was once on the search to lose the bloat of all the CMS's out there, but I am now going in the direction of Invision Board and IPBsdk I think now. If you happen to be using Invision board, you might wanna look into that as well.

I too would be interested in helping anyway I could on a project that builds what you folks are talking about... Would it be possible to build everything totally seperate, but relying on a 'main CMS module' (mainly for the administration) and then use Smarty itself to tie everything together?

Joe
markon
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: I devolop framework what you want Reply with quote

I've framework what you are looking for. It's under developement, but some features is implemented:

* fully automatic cache - always return actual page, because it qill run all php scripts, create MD5 of variables assigned to template and compare with cached results. It's impossible to return old page

* form validation - at presentation layer
* user authentification - very easy to implement, but now not docummented
* mod_rewrite support
* simple light-weight design

...but still under developement!!! It's working now, it can be implemented, but there is no documentation or installation scripts.

If you are interested look at www.sourceforge.net/projects/smartbee/

developers wanted
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> Frameworks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: