Smarty Forum Index Smarty
WARNING: All discussion is moving to https://reddit.com/r/smarty, please go there! This forum will be closing soon.

Fetch vs. Display()

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iriePub
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Fetch vs. Display() Reply with quote

Hi,

What is better to use concerning the performance?
I like {include} much more to keep the templates simple and readable, then to fetch in php and assign to smarty, because when using only one time display(), you can assign all neede vars to smarty and use them in your templates ...

But is this slower than fetching the results of templates and assigning them to smarty?

Thanks in advance!
spunkymungbeans
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I use fetch() is when I need some html to use later in the program. For example I might use smarty to create the contents for an email and then use fetch to assign it to a variable which is then plugged into the sendmail function. Or if I am going to have the content saved to a file rather than displayed.

I can't see any advantage in using it instead of {include}.

If you mean the fetch function such as this:
Code:

{* include some javascript in your template *}
{fetch file="/export/httpd/www.example.com/docs/navbar.js"}

then surely this would only be useful to include files that do not contain any variables.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question.
iriePub
Smarty Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mea the first thing., using $smarty->fetch() in your php code instead of {include} in the template tag, to contrcut a deeper nesting of templates!
mateusfig
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iriePub wrote:
No, I mea the first thing., using $smarty->fetch() in your php code instead of {include} in the template tag, to contrcut a deeper nesting of templates!

I think i understood what u meant. I thought on same subject today. But i use FETCH function w/ HTML only.

I needed use FETCH because i use separated folders modules in my system and i need process them before include them into "father" template of website.

The "father" template receives the code of each module which it needs and placed in the right place of code. This would not be possibly without process each module into a separated variable that will store each one.
________
Ferrari Testarossa Specifications

Last edited by mateusfig on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$smarty->fetch() is going to accumulate the output of the templates into system memory. Generally it is better to avoid that if you have no good purpose of fetching content.
mateusfig
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
$smarty->fetch() is going to accumulate the output of the templates into system memory. Generally it is better to avoid that if you have no good purpose of fetching content.

Alright, good to know about this. But do i have a alternative? like clean this content from memory after i use it?

I'd like find a better way to build my idea since it seems is not a professional act what I'm using actually.

is there any fucntion to free the memory after shows the content?
________
Mazdago

Last edited by mateusfig on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mohrt
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do this:

[php:1:82a61116be]$output = $smarty->fetch('foo.tpl');[/php:1:82a61116be]

the variable $output resides in memory, until you either unset() it or the script terminates. If you do this:

[php:1:82a61116be]$smarty->display('foo.tpl');[/php:1:82a61116be]

The output goes straight to the browser.

If $smarty->fetch() works for you, then there should be no problem using it. I'm just pointing out the difference between fetch() and display(). Run some benchmarks, see if there is any significant difference for you.
mateusfig
Smarty Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
If you do this:

[php]$output = $smarty->fetch('foo.tpl');[/php]

the variable $output resides in memory, until you either unset() it or the script terminates. If you do this:

[php]$smarty->display('foo.tpl');[/php]

The output goes straight to the browser.

If $smarty->fetch() works for you, then there should be no problem using it. I'm just pointing out the difference between fetch() and display(). Run some benchmarks, see if there is any significant difference for you.

Thats all. Great information, u recalled me about the unset() function which can make this in case i need this...

Thank u very much.
________
Starcraft replays
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Smarty Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: